Recharge is compatible with Shopify’s pickup and local delivery feature. With pickup and local delivery enabled, customers can pick up their subscription orders in-store or receive local delivery if eligible. This guide provides an overview of and steps for enabling the feature.
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
Note the following limitations for pickup and local delivery:
- Shopify's local delivery and pickup feature is available for Shopify Plus merchants with 20 or fewer locations and with custom checkout deactivated. For more information, see Eligibility.
- The delivery method selected at checkout will apply to both one-time and subscription products processed through the Recharge checkout. If a one-time product is added to an existing subscription, it also inherits its delivery method.
- The pickup and local delivery feature only works on new checkout orders. You can't update an existing customer's delivery method from shipping to pickup or local delivery. If an existing customer wishes to switch from shipping to pickup or local delivery, they must place a new checkout order.
- At this time, customers cannot change their delivery method in the customer portal. If a customer wishes to change their delivery method, they must process a new checkout order or request the merchant change the delivery method in the merchant portal.
- If a product is set to track inventory in Shopify and is out-of-stock at subscription renewal, Shopify will not return delivery methods. If Recharge does not receive delivery methods from Shopify, the order will result in a charge error or process the order using free shipping, depending on a store's advanced inventory settings.
- Pickup orders with multiple subscriptions that have different intervals, may have their recurring order delivery changed to shipping. This is due to a Shopify limitation related to missing subscription contracts. You can resolve this error by reverting the affected order's delivery method from shipping.
Fixed-price bundles are not compatible with local delivery. All bundle types are compatible with local pickup orders.
How it works
With this feature enabled in Shopify, merchants can offer shipping, local delivery, or pickup at checkout. Your store's pickup and local delivery setting configuration in Shopify determines what delivery methods are provided to customers at checkout. Shopify determines the delivery methods available at checkout using several factors:
- Shipping address
- Product type (digital vs. physical)
- Product inventory
By default, pickup is always free. Local delivery costs can differ depending on how the feature is configured in Shopify. See Set up pickup and local delivery for more information.
Enable the feature
To enable the feature, see Shopify's guides on local delivery and pickup:
After the feature is enabled in Shopify, pickup and local delivery will be available for all new eligible checkout orders. The delivery method is automatically maintained from checkout to recurring orders.
Manage delivery methods
You can view a customer’s delivery method in the merchant portal by opening an order on the Subscription or Orders details pages.
If the customer uses local delivery, the shipping line will display Local Delivery and the associated local delivery charge:
If the customer uses pickup, the shipping line will display the pickup location’s name configured in Shopify. In the following example, Texas is the pickup location’s name configured in Shopify:
By default, Recharge retains the delivery method a customer selects at checkout throughout the length of a subscription. For example, customers who choose local delivery at checkout receive local delivery for all recurring orders.
The retained delivery method can be overridden in the following scenarios:
Manual shipping method override
|The customer’s delivery method is changed to shipping.|
|Add/swap products that are not eligible for pickup or local delivery||The customer’s delivery method is changed to shipping.|
|The shipping address is updated, and the new address is not eligible for pickup or local delivery||The customer’s delivery method is changed to shipping.|
|Merchant merges addresses on behalf of a customer||
The delivery method of the target address is retained. For example, if the target address uses shipping and you merge an address using pickup to the target address, the pickup order will inherit shipping as its delivery method.
Note the following about merging addresses with this feature:
If the target address is set to fetch shipping rates dynamically, the new delivery method will depend on a few factors:
Pickup and local delivery are supported for migrations. For more details, see Migration template explained.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us