There may be instances where you need to issue a partial or full refund to a customer. This guide provides an overview of refunding and canceling your subscription orders.
Before you start
- This article applies to merchants using the Shopify Checkout Integration. If you are using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify or BigCommerce, refer to Issuing a refund in Recharge.
- For merchants that migrated to the Shopify Checkout Integration with existing subscribers, new subscriptions that were purchased after your store's migration (via the Shopify Checkout), can be refunded using the instructions in this guide. To refund your subscriptions that were purchased prior to your store's migration, refer to Issuing a refund in Recharge. See Understanding customer management with the migrated Shopify Checkout Integration to learn more.
- Recharge excludes refunds from your monthly Recharge invoices (this includes both the percentage and cents per order fees). However, Shopify Payments will not refund credit card transaction fees. See Creating returns and refunds from Shopify's Help Center.
- Customers can typically expect to receive their refund within 3-5 business days, however, it can take longer depending on the customer's credit card company.
Issue a full or partial refund
Issue a refund in Shopify
You can issue a full or partial refund from your Shopify Admin.
- Click Orders in your Shopify Admin.
- Click on the Order ID # of the order you want to refund.
- Click Refund.
- You can refund individual items with the dropdown next to each product name, or choose a specific total amount to refund in the Refund Amount field.
- Refund the shipping cost in the Refund shipping field. Shopify will display the type of shipping and cost for the order.
- Optional – Add a note in Reason for refund, for your own record keeping.
- Click Refund to finalize the refund.
Issue a refund in Recharge
You can also initiate the refund process in your merchant portal:
- Click the Customers tab and search for the desired customer to refund.
- Select See Details to view a list of the customer's charges.
- Locate the charge that needs to be refunded and select the drop-down arrow to expand the Charge details.
- Select Refund order in Shopify. This opens the Shopify charge in a new tab, where you can complete the refund for the customer.
The refunded transaction is reflected in both your Shopify Admin and merchant portal Dashboard.
Cancel a subscription
Refunding an order in Shopify will cancel the order in Recharge, but does not cancel the subscription. The customer will get charged again based on the subscription frequency.
If the customer is looking to cancel the subscription altogether, after you refund the transaction in Shopify, you must cancel the subscription within Recharge.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us