Sometimes it might be necessary to issue a partial or full refund to a customer. This guide provides an overview of refunding and canceling your subscription orders.
Before you start
ReCharge excludes refunds from your monthly ReCharge invoices. However, Shopify Payments will not refund credit card transaction fees. Read more in their Help Center.
Customers typically can expect to receive their refund within 3-5 business days, however, it can take longer depending on the customer's credit card company.
Issue a full or partial refund in Shopify
You can issue a full or partial refund from your Shopify Admin.
- Open up your Shopify Admin, and go to Orders.
- Cick on the Order ID # of the order you want to refund.
- Click Refund on the top toolbar.
- You can refund individual items with the dropdown next to each product name, or chose a specific total amount to refund with the Refund Amount field on the right.
- Refund the shipping cost with Refund shipping, Shopify will display the type of shipping and cost for the order.
- Optional - add a note in Reason for refund, for your own recordkeeping.
- Click the Refund button to finalize the refund.
Issuing a refund in ReCharge
You can also initiate the refund process in ReCharge.
- Navigate to the Customers tab and search for the desired customer to refund.
- Select See Details to view a list of the customer's charges.
- Locate the charge that needs to be refunded and select the drop-down arrow to expand the Charge details.
- Select the Refund order in Shopify button. This will open the Shopify charge in a new tab, where you can complete the refund for the customer.
Cancel a subscription
Refunding an order in Shopify will cancel the order in ReCharge, but does not cancel the subscription. The customer will get charged again based on the subscription frequency.
If the customer is looking to cancel the subscription altogether, after you refund the transaction in Shopify you will need to cancel the subscription within ReCharge.