- Before you start
- Configure your shipping in Shopify
- Setting up shipping in Recharge
- Modifying priced-based shipping in Recharge
- Migrated orders
- Shipping rates with multiple subscription frequencies
When using Shopify Checkout Integration, shipping rates are set up and managed by default in Shopify. Alternatively, you can use Shopify Shipping Profiles to set separate rates for subscriptions in Recharge, create custom rates, and use conditional logic. See Enable the feature for how to use it.
This guide explains how to configure shipping for Shopify Checkout Integration merchants. Contact Shopify support directly for shipping questions or setup issues related to Shopify, or see Shopify’s shipping guides.
- Shopify Checkout Integration
- Migrated Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
- If you've migrated to Shopify Checkout Integration, your setup might still allow the use of Recharge shipping rates for recurring orders. Refer to Shopify Checkout Integration technical details and requirements for more information.
- Contact Shopify for any shipping issues or troubleshooting not related to Recharge’s Shopify Shipping Profiles or if the subscription is retaining rates from the original Shopify checkout.
- If your store uses the retain rates feature for recurring orders, Recharge is set to use the initial checkout's shipping rates, rather than updating them dynamically from Shopify.
Configuring your shipping in Shopify
Shopify Checkout Integration merchants control shipping rates from the Shopify Admin. It is not controlled from Recharge.
Recharge recommends using one of the following shipping settings in Shopify:
- Weight-Based Rates: Utilize these for both one-time and subscription products. If you want different rates for subscriptions, refer to Recharge's Shopify shipping profiles.
- Price-Based Rates: Set minimum and maximum cart values for flat-rate shipping. Ensure rates reflect actual customer prices, including discounts. Refer to Shopify’s Shipping rates documentation for configuration details.
Setting up shipping in Recharge
Step 1 - Choose Dynamic or Retained shipping rates
Recurring orders in Recharge have the following two options for Shipping rates:
- Dynamically recalculate rates for future orders: Recharge recalculates the shipping rate for every future recurring order and applies the lowest available shipping rate.
- Retain original shipping rate for future orders: Conserves the shipping rate from checkout. If there are no rates from the checkout, the shipping rate uses the dynamic rates instead. The retained rate will be the lowest priced rate on the first order, including one-time products.
To set your recurring shipping rate method:
- Click Settings and select Shipping in the merchant portal.
- Confirm that your “Charge shipping” setting is set to Charge shipping.
- Under “Recurring shipping rates”, click the dropdown and select either Retain original shipping rate for future orders or Dynamically recalculate rates for future orders based on your requirements.
- Click Save.
Step 2 - Configure error handling under Advanced settings
Configure how orders should be handled if there are no matching shipping rates available. There are two options:
- Process orders if no matching shipping rate is found: Orders are processed at a $0.00 shipping rate if no matching rate applies.
- Display an error if no matching shipping rate is found: Either the checkout or recurring order will fail if there are no applicable shipping rates.
Under “Advanced settings”, click the dropdown and select either Process orders if no matching shipping rate is found or Display an error if no matching shipping rate is found based on your requirements.
Modifying priced-based shipping in Recharge
When you set up price-based rates in Shopify for recurring charges, they use the actual price paid by the customer during checkout, including any subscribe and save prices and price overrides. If you want to set a flat rate for recurring orders, you need to manually apply a rate to your customers in Recharge.
If a customer's subscription is created without a checkout order - for example, the customer was migrated to Recharge from another platform, or they were manually added - then the shipping rate defaults to dynamic. You can set manual overrides for these customers to configure their shipping rates, and leverage converse rates for new customers only.
Shipping rates with multiple subscription frequencies
The following video outlines how shipping rates behave when multiple subscription frequencies are in checkout. This behavior is a Shopify limitation and cannot be changed by Recharge.
If you have any questions about compatibility, reach out to Recharge support.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us