Customers are able to manage their subscriptions by using their customer account to log into their Customer Portal. Customers can either access their unique hashed links in the email notifications or login to their account on the Shopify storefront and click the Manage Subscriptions link.
Recharge uses the customer email address to associate their Customer Portal page with their Shopify account. This guide provides an overview of how Shopify customer accounts work with Recharge and how your customers can access and manage their subscriptions.
- Shopify Checkout Integration
How customer accounts work
For every customer that completes checkout with a subscription product, a Customer Portal will be created that allows customers to access and manage their subscriptions. The Customer Portal can be accessed using a unique, hashed link that is sent to the customer by email.
Customers use their customer portal to update subscription information, add additional products, cancel subscriptions, and more.
Customer account creation after checkout
When a customer checks out with a subscription in their cart they will receive two emails.
- Order confirmation email - this comes from and can be customized in Shopify. Shopify’s guide on customizing notification templates.
- Subscription activation email - this comes from and is customized in Recharge. The emails contain a manage subscription link that will automatically bring customers to their customer portal.
Customer account preferences
You need to make sure your customer account preferences in Shopify are set to optional or required in order for Customers to be able to create their customer account.
Even though a customer can access their customer portal right away through the manage subscription link in the activation email, their customer account is not automatically activated if you set Shopify as accounts optional.
You can tell if a customer has an activated account in Shopify > Customers. If the customer has not activated their account, there will be a Send account invite option.
Activating customer accounts
If your Shopify customer account preferences are set to optional, your customers will still need to activate their accounts before they can modify their subscription. You can send out a reminder as the store owner or request your customers activate on their own.
- Storeowner: Send out the email invite through Shopify, see Send individual account invites in Shopify's help center for instructions.
- Customer: Customers need to use the same email they checked out with in order for their previously purchased subscriptions to show up under their customer account.
- Click on the account button customers use on your store storefront to log in or create their customer account. The icon used for it is dependant on the Shopify theme. Alternatively, customers can also access the login page by adding .myshopify.com/account/login to the end of your store URL.
- Click Create account.
Once you or your customer request their account, your customer will receive the Customer account invite email from Shopify. Once the customer has verified their account, when they log in they will be able to see their order history and manage their subscriptions.
Login to Shopify to manage subscriptions
Customers can access your storefront login page and enter in their Shopify account credentials. Once logged in, they will be able to see their Shopify orders and a Manage Subscriptions link which will open their Customer Portal.
You can edit what a customer can modify within their customer portal through Settings > Customer portal. See Customer portal controls for more information.
For commonly asked questions, visit Customer accounts in Shopify Checkout FAQ.