Shopify Payments is Shopify's in-house payment processor. This article explains how to perform a test transaction when using Shopify Payments. To complete a full test transaction you will create the order, review the order, cancel the subscription or membership, and refund the order. We recommend going through the process at least once to ensure everything is working as expected.
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Merchants using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify or BigCommerce should follow the running a test transaction on Recharge Checkout guide for correct instructions.
Before you begin
Make sure to set Shopify Payments to Test Mode, see Shopify's guide Testing Shopify Payments for more information.
Step 1 - Create an order
Go to your storefront, add a subscription for one of your products or membershup to your cart and complete the checkout process using a test credit card.
When signing up you will receive two notification emails.
- Order confirmation email - This comes from and can be customized in Shopify. For more information, visit Shopify’s guide on customizing notification templates.
- Subscription or membership activation email - This comes from and is customized in Recharge. The emails contain a manage subscription magic link that will automatically bring customers to their customer portal.
Step 2 - View the new order in Shopify
Navigate to your Shopify orders section to confirm the order was successful.
Step 3 - Cancel the subscription or membership
After you have verified the order processed correctly, you need to cancel the subscription or membership to stop it from running again.
- In the merchant portal, click the Customers tab and search and select the customer profile.
- In the customer profile, click the ... next to the subscription or membership you would like to cancel and select Cancel subscription.
- You will be prompted to select the cancellation reason. Click the reason and then click Cancel my subscription.
Step 4 - Refund the order if applicable
Orders processed in test mode do not need to be refunded. If you are not using test mode on Shopify Payments, refund the order by following the refund guide.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us