The first time you access RechargeSMS, a series of onboarding prompts will take you through the settings and help you get acquainted with the feature set. This guide accompanies the onboarding flow to help fill in additional information to get you set up and ready to go. For general information, visit RechargeSMS.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
- RechargeSMS is free to use and available to merchants using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify or the Shopify Checkout Integration.
Products and Swap Groups
Optimize your product titles
- Click Products in the RechargeSMS dashboard.
- Under Actions, click Edit for the product variant title you would like to update.
- Click into the Title box to modify your product variant title.
- Click Update when finished.
Product title best practices
- When configuring your product titles, it is important to keep product titles short to fit within the context of SMS messages. For example, replacing written numbers with a figure, like three to 3.
- Product variants may be imported with both product variant title and frequency availability, such as 1 Bottle (2 Month Supply). It is best to normalize the products with a shorter naming convention that works within SMS.
- Product variants may be imported with the name Default Title. To update, select the product to access the Product Variant data screen and copy the Shopify Product title. Click Edit Product Variant in the upper-right corner and paste the Shopify Product title.
Configure Swap Groups
RechargeSMS allows subscribers to swap products directly within an SMS exchange. Some common use cases:
- Cross-selling: Swap between different product SKUs to promote the diversity of their product offerings
- Upselling: Enable product swaps between larger quantity or products
This can be achieved by creating Swap Groups that constrain which products a subscriber can select to swap.
RechargeSMS syncs and imports customers every hour with Recharge. If you need to import customers immediately, you can import up to ten customers manually within RechargeSMS by going to Customers > Import Customers, and entering each email followed by a comma.
If you need to import or update a list of existing customers who have already opted in to an existing SMS solution, please reach out to Recharge Support with a CSV file of the customers with the following column headers.
- First Name
- Last Name
- Phone Number
- SMS Consent Timestamp (Example: MM/DD/YY 13:00)
Enable order modifications
As a merchant, you can customize which order modifications your customers can make via SMS.
- In the RechargeSMS dashboard, click Settings.
- From the tab menu, select Features.
- Under Modify Order, toggle the modifications a customer will be able to make to their order.
Enable winback and cancellation reasons
You can also enable Winback and Cancellation Reasons from the Settings page. These optional but recommended settings give your customers the opportunity to skip or swap their product instead of outright canceling. If they do cancel, they can let your store know why.
Handling bundled subscriptions
If your store bundles products together into one complete package, you can enable bundling through Features > General Functionality.
This toggle limits functionality so that SMS messaging doesn’t break bundles. Customers are limited to viewing subscription information, skipping, delaying, or updating the next charge date.
Only stores that sell bundles should enable this setting. Bundled products, sometimes referred to as box subscriptions, are subscriptions that are structured in a way that multiple individual pieces make up one whole subscription and a customer should not be able to swap or remove individual parts.
One example of a bundle is a box subscription where five individual product SKUs are all individual subscriptions, but customers aren't allowed to swap the individual products. If you any questions, please reach out to support and we'll help determine the proper settings for your individual use case.
Accept Customer Segments settings
You can access the segment options by clicking on Recharge SMS is Active on the top right, or Activate RechargeSMS in the same place if it’s currently disabled.
There are 2 options, these control which existing customers are eligible for SMS interactions.
- Enable SMS for all current subscribers: Opens up SMS for all customers. Customers already imported and any new customers can receive SMS messages.
- Enable SMS for customers in a segment: Only customers that are in an active customer segment can interact via SMS.
Configure user segments
During the trial period, only customers that belong to an active segment are going to receive SMS and be able to interact with RechargeSMS.
RechargeSMS automatically creates two user segments for your store, Upcoming Charge Customers and Active Customers.
To view your user segments:
- From the RechargeSMS dashboard, click Customers.
- From the tab menu, select Segments.
Activate user segments
By default, your user segments are inactive. To turn on your user segments:
- From the Segments tab, click Edit next to the user segment group
- Under Status, toggle Active to receive SMS.
Add custom user segments
You can also add additional user segments and manually include which customers should be added.
- From the Segments tab, select Add new Segment.
- Fill in the Name and Description text boxes.
- Under Select Customers, search and select the customers you would like to include.
- Click Save when finished.
If you have any questions or require assistance, reach out to Recharge Support.