RechargeSMS is a text-based customer experience tool that allows your customers to manage all aspects of their subscriptions through SMS.
This article explains the process of installing the app in your store. For general information, visit RechargeSMS.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
- RechargeSMS is only compatible with phone numbers originating from the United States and Canada (with +1 country code).
- International numbers are estimated to work with RechargeSMS in Q3 of 2022. This estimated timeline is subject to change. Subscribe to the Recharge Changelog to receive feature release notifications.
- Merchants using the Shopify Checkout Integration must set the shipping address phone number setting to either Optional or Required within the Checkout settings of their Shopify Admin so that RechargeSMS can capture customers' phone numbers.
- Due to US laws and legislation, RechargeSMS cannot support stores selling products containing cannabidiol (CBD).
Step 1 - Install RechargeSMS for your Shopify store
You must install the RechargeSMS integration through your Recharge merchant portal before you can send customers text messages.
- Login to your Recharge merchant portal and select Apps.
- Select Marketplace from the drop-down list.
- Locate the RechargeSMS banner at the top of the page. Select Enable.
- A new page should open explaining the benefits of RechargeSMS. Select Enable.
- Follow the onboarding flow in RechargeSMS to finish configuring your RechargeSMS account.
Step 2 - Enable RechargeSMS opt-in options
Customers must opt-in to receive SMS messages. The opt-in option differs depending on your platform:
- Merchants using the Shopify Checkout Integration: Customers opt-in from the cart when a subscription product is added.
- Merchants using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify: Customers opt-in at checkout.
Instructions for the Shopify Checkout Integration
Enable the Cart Widget Opt-in
The Cart Widget Opt-in feature allows your customers to opt-in to receive text messages on the cart page. The Cart Widget Opt-in feature is enabled directly in your RechargeSMS Dashboard:
- Locate the Opt-in Tools section from the My Shop page.
- Select Set up your SMS Opt-in Widget.
- Set the Enable Cart Widget Opt-in toggle to on.
Select Customize it to change the appearance of the widget on the cart page.
Once enabled, the Cart Widget Opt-in will appear on the cart page when a customer checks out with a subscription product. It can take up to 30 seconds for the widget to appear on the cart page. Manually install the opt-in widget if it is not available after autoinjection.
Manually install the Cart Widget Opt-in
Recharge automatically injects the necessary code into your Shopify theme when you enable the Opt-in widget. Depending on your store setup, you may need to manually install the widget directly into your theme code:
- Enable the Cart Widget Opt-in feature.
- Select the button Don’t like how it looks? Customize it! to manually install the widget.
- Click Manually install instead.
- Use the customization options to style the opt-in widget appearance.
- Select Copy </> in the Widget HTML section to copy the widget code.
- Click the Configure Shopify theme button. This opens the Themes page of your Shopify store.
- Select Edit code from the Actions drop-down menu.
- Locate the cart file. This is typically the
main-cart-footer.liquiddepending on your theme.
- Paste the copied code so that the opt-in appears after the order Subtotal.
- Click Save.
Preview the cart page on your storefront to confirm that the widget is available:
Capture customers' phone numbers
To ensure RechargeSMS can capture the customer's phone number, you may need to update your Shopify store settings.
- Navigate to your Shopify Admin and click Settings.
- Select Checkout from the navigation menu.
- Set the Shipping address phone number to Optional or Required.
- Click Save.
Instructions for Recharge Checkout on Shopify
For stores using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify, customers opt-in during checkout. To enable opt-in at checkout:
- Click the Messaging status indicator button on the bottom left of your RechargeSMS dashboard.
- Use the toggle to enable Future Subscribers Opt-in.
- Use the toggle to enable SMS service.
- Click Close.
Once activated, customers can opt-in to receive SMS updates about their subscriptions directly from the checkout.
Note: You must enable the RechargeSMS service in order for messages to be sent to customers.
Step 3 - Add the RechargeSMS Terms Of Service to your store
The RechargeSMS Terms of Service (TOS) must be added to your Shopify store terms.
- Copy the RechargeSMS Terms of Services.
- Open your Shopify Admin.
- Click on Settings and select Policies.
- Paste the RechargeSMS Terms of Services into the Terms of service section.
- Click Save.
RechargeSMS landing page opt-in
The RechargeSMS opt-in widget allows your customers to opt-in and receive promotional SMS messages about their subscription orders all from a custom landing page. Customers can proactively opt-in to receive SMS updates outside of the checkout, making it easier for them to manage their subscriptions, and helping you increase retention and Lifetime Value for your store.
The RechargeSMS widget is customizable, allowing you to match your store’s brand and voice.
Share the link to the opt-in page directly with your customers if you’ve migrated to Recharge. This allows them to enroll in SMS notifications without placing an additional checkout order.
Step 1 - Enable and customize the opt-in widget
- Log in to your RechargeSMS Dashboard.
- Navigate to the Opt-in Tools section of the My Shop page and locate the Landing Page Opt-in section.
- Select Create your Opt-In Landing Page.
- Enter your store name, logo, and color branding in the Shop Branding fields. Select Confirm to set your configuration.
- Adjust the messaging used to encourage people to sign up for RechargeSMS under the Promo Copy section.
- Customize the appearance of the Call to Action (CTA) button in the Call to Action section.
- Preview the RechargeSMS preview section to see what the widget will look like when customers are interacting with it.
Step 2 - Add the opt-in widget code to your Shopify theme
- Select Save and generate to generate the widget code.
- Select Copy to copy the Opt-in Widget code to your clipboard.
- Follow the steps provided to access your store’s Shopify Pages editor. Alternatively, you can select Online Store and click Pages from your Shopify Admin to create a new page.
- Select Add Page.
- Create a new page called "Subscription Management via Text".
<>to open the HTML editor.
- Paste the RechargeSMS widget code into the HTML editor.
- Click Save to create the new page.
- Select More actions and click View page to preview the opt-in widget on your Online Store. You can modify the HTML or CSS code in the Page editor to improve the appearance of the widget.
Share the link to the opt-in widget page with your customers through an email campaign, or use a pop-up app like Privy to announce the page to customers when they initially access your store.
Landing page opt-in customer flow
The landing page opt-in prompts customers to enter the email address and phone number associated with their Recharge customer account. To proceed with the opt-in, customers fill in the form and click Let's do it.
After filling in the landing page opt-in information, the customer receives an SMS message with a verification code. The customer enters this verification code into the opt-in widget.
After the widget validates the verification code, customers must check their email for a verification email. The customer needs to click Verify Number in their verification email to proceed. After clicking Verify Number, the customer is redirected to a confirmation page confirming the customer has successfully opted in to receive SMS messages.
If you have any questions or require assistance, reach out to the Recharge support team.