A number of actions are triggered in both Recharge and BigCommerce after a customer goes through the checkout with a subscription product. This article details what happens at checkout for new customers and which checkout settings store owners can customize to better fit their brand.
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
Before you start
- Follow the instructions detailed in BigCommerce's guide for Enabling and Disabling Account Creation before you proceed with this article.
- Customer accounts must be enabled in BigCommerce so that customers can access their customer portals.
- The Subscription activation email sent by Recharge will only work for BigCommerce customers if account creation is enabled in your BigCommerce store settings.
Customer accounts and portals
BigCommerce storefront customer accounts and the Recharge customer portal are similar, however, they have slightly different purposes.
|Customer Account||BigCommerce||Accessed through the BigCommerce storefront, customers use their storefront account to view transactions and update their addresses.|
|Customer portal||Recharge||Accessed through the BigCommerce Customer Account, the customer portal is a self-service portal that customers can use to maintain their subscriptions with actions like adding products or skipping shipments.|
What happens after checkout
After a customer goes through the Recharge Checkout with a subscription product in their cart, Recharge sends the Subscription activation notification to the email provided by the customer at checkout. This important notification contains payment details, shipping information, and a link for the customer to access their customer portal to modify their subscription.
You can configure the notification through the Notification settings in Recharge.
Customer account creation
Once you have enabled customer accounts within BigCommerce, the way customer accounts are handled depends on whether or not the customer is a new subscriber.
If the customer is new, Recharge creates a customer account in BigCommerce with a record of the customer details and purchases.
For existing customers, the Recharge subscription purchase will automatically be associated with the account.
Completing the BigCommerce customer account creation
Customers can access their customer portal through the Subscription activation notification. To access the storefront account, customers must reset their password by clicking Login on your storefront, then Forgot your password?
We recommend updating your subscription activation emails in your Recharge notification settings to include additional instructions for your customers.
Individual account creation
Alternatively, you can assign an individual password to a customer once they've completed their checkout. This password can then be shared with the customer and you can force them to reset their assigned password for security purposes.
- In the BigCommerce admin go to Customers, click View and search and select the specific customer you'd like to edit.
- Under Force Password Reset On Next Login, select Yes.
- Assign a password for the customer in the Password and Confirm Password fields.
- Click Save & Exit.
Customer portal creation
For every customer that purchases a subscription product, a customer portal is created in Recharge that allows customers to access and manage their subscriptions. The customer portal can be accessed using a unique, hashed link that is sent to the customer in their email notifications.
Customers can also access their customer portal by logging into their BigCommerce Customer Storefront account and clicking Manage Subscriptions.
Existing customer accounts
If a customer already has an account in BigCommerce, Recharge will associate the order with the existing customer profile based on the e-mail address. If the customer uses a different e-mail address, Recharge will create a new customer profile.
If a customer is logged into your BigCommerce storefront and enters the checkout with a subscription item or mixed cart, their email address and shipping address details will be auto-filled into the Recharge Checkout.
In the event that their BigCommerce account contains multiple shipping address, Recharge will select the first shipping address listed. If the customer wants to use a different email or shipping address, they can overwrite the pre-filled information before progressing to the payment and billing address details screen.
Update billing and email information
Customers can update their billing information via their customer portal.
- Access the Billing information tab in the customer portal.
- Click on the email and billing address section to update the email address and/or billing information. Click Update.
- Click the Card on file section to update the card information. Click Update card.
You can edit a customer's billing information in the merchant portal.
- Click Customers and search and select the customer.
- Select Billing information.
- Click Update card to update the payment method, or click Edit under Billing information to update the customer's billing details, including their email address.
Update shipping information
Customers can update their shipping address via their customer portal.
- Access the Shipping addresses tab in the customer portal.
- Click on the shipping address you want to edit, add the updated information, and click Update shipping address.
You can update a customer's shipping address in your merchant portal.
- Click Customers and search and select the customer.
- On the Subscription orders page, click See details next to the Address ID.
- Click Edit under the Shipping Address, add the updated information, and click Save.
How does Recharge determine if a customer exists in BigCommerce?
Recharge uses the customer's email address at the time of checkout to locate them in your BigCommerce customer profile records. If a customer profile exists in BigCommerce with that email, the order will be created under that customer. If a customer profile does not exist, a new customer profile will be created in BigCommerce for the order.
Can customers log in to their account during checkout?
Customers are not able to log in during the checkout process. However, they can log in before checkout. Recharge will auto-populate the shipping and e-mail address for the customer. For more information, see Existing customer accounts.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us