Customer segmentation is a process by which merchants divide their customers based on common characteristics such as demographics, history, or behaviors. This allows marketing and sales strategies to be deployed appropriately and effectively.
This guide covers how to configure customer segments and using them with Flows.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
Flows are currently in Early Adopter Status. Refer to the Flows overview for more information on each template and links to their respective articles.
Customer segments overview
A segment member is an existing Recharge customer who is associated with a segment. Customers are recognized by their email address, so an email address is required when uploading customers to a segment using a CSV file. Customer email addresses must be associated with a Recharge customer record to be added to a segment. Customers can be added to one or several segments.
Create customer segments
Though you can manually add or remove customers from a segment, you should leverage a CSV upload to add customers to a selected segment.
To create customer segments:
- Access customer segments by navigating to Customers then select Segments in merchant portal.
- Click Create a segment, name the segment, and select Create.
- Download the CSV template to input the customers for this segment. You must add an email address for each customer to be added to the segment. Recharge will use the email address to lookup the associated Recharge customer record and add supplemental customer information to the segment, such as customer name and phone number.
- Upload the completed CSV template and select Import.
- Once the upload is complete, the customers you bulk uploaded to this segment will populate. Note that emails with no matching customer record in Recharge will be ignored during the import, and customers who already exist in the segment will not be duplicated.
Using customer segments in Flows
Segmentation is a critical component when creating and deploying Recharge Flows. They ensure that you target flows, or branches of flows only to the customers you intend. Segments can be used within Flow Triggers as a filter so that only customers in or not in the selected segment will enter the flow.
To use your customer segment in Flows:
- Create a Flow and click on the Trigger configuration card.
- In the Flow Filters section, click the Customer dropdown selecting Segment, if this segment is or is not included, and the Recharge segment to filter on.
- Click Close once you've completed selecting Trigger filters and complete the remaining setup for your Flow.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us