Changing the price of subscription products
Periodically, you may find you need to update your product prices or re-adjust the price for a single customer. This guide outlines how to update the price of subscription products for both new and existing customers.
Changing the price for new customers
Recharge Checkout on Shopify
If you update the price of your products in your ecommerce platform, you will also need to resync your products in Recharge. This will ensure that the subscriptions on your product page reflect the new price.
- In the merchant portal, select Products.
- Locate the product that needs to be updated.
- Select Sync from the Actions drop-down menu to update the subscription product.
Shopify Checkout Integration
To update the subscription price for new customers, update the product price directly on the product details page in Shopify. Once the product price has been updated in Shopify, the new price will apply to all new customers in Recharge.
Syncing subscription products is not required when using the Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce as all product data is kept in sync between the two platforms.
Changing the price for existing customers
By default, if you update your product price on the ecommerce platform, existing subscribers will still be subscribed to the old price. If you need to update the subscription price of a few existing customers, you can manually change the price of an existing customer.
To change the price of an existing customer:
- Go to the Customers tab in the merchant portal and search for and select the customer.
- Select Actions on the product that requires a price change, then click Edit subscription product.
- Enter the new Recurring price and click Save.
Bulk updating the price for existing subscriptions
There are two methods for adjusting the subscription pricing in bulk. Review the methods below and select the method based on your needs and preference.
Method 1 - Multi-select tool
You can use the Multi-select tool to update the price for individual subscriptions on the Subscriptions page. To process the update search and select the subscriptions to be updated on the Subscriptions page and use Price in the Edit properties menu on the Actions dropdown.
Review the Multi-select tool guide for detailed instructions.
Method 2 - Bulk Managing Subscriptions toolYou can use the Bulk Managing Subscriptions tool to update the subscription pricing. To process this type of update you will need to complete the CSV file template with:
recurring_priceshould not include a currency symbol.
To make an update using the import tool:
- Use the Export Builder to pull the Subscriptions - All or Subscriptions - Active export.
- Copy and paste the required fields noted above from the Subscriptions export into the template file. All other columns in the template can be removed.
- Once your CSV file is ready to import, follow steps 2 and 3 in the Bulk managing subscriptions guide to complete the update.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us