There may be instances where you will need to add a customer to Recharge manually. This may occur if a customer has gone through the wrong checkout or if you would like to set up a subscription on behalf of the customer.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
Before you start
- Merchants on the Shopify Checkout Integration and Migrated Shopify Checkout Integration can add new customers through Shopify but will not be able to manually assign new subscriptions to customers. All new customers must go through the checkout, as per Shopify.
- Refer to Managing your customers for more information on how you can manage your customers in the merchant portal.
Create a new customer
Open the Customers tab in your merchant portal and select Add customer to begin creating a new customer.
On the following page, enter the customer's details such as first name, last name, email address, and shipping information. If your customer already exists within your payment processor account, you can enter their existing customer token. If your customer has yet to place an order, leave this field blank.
Once all the customer information is entered, click Save.
Note: If you plan on adding a subscription to your customer, you will need to add a credit card to their profile before it can be processed.
Add a subscription product manually
You can add a subscription product to the customer's account once they exist in Recharge.
- Access the customer's account in Recharge.
- Click Subscriptions on the left-side panel.
- Click Add Product to add products to the customer's subscription.
- Set the next charge date. If the charge should process today, enter today's date. Refer to Manually process a recurring order immediately for more information.
- Click Add product.
Share the customer portal link
If the customer did not already exist in your payment processor account, send the customer portal link to the customer and request that they update their credit card in the Billing Information section. This step is not necessary if you entered their payment token as their billing information will have already been transferred.
Find the customer portal link by hovering over the link icon in the customer account.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us