Ideally, all customers would be processed through the checkout, however, customers can be manually added to Recharge if necessary. This may occur after a wrong checkout or if you would like to set up a subscription on behalf of the customer. This guide provides the steps to manually add a customer to Recharge for stores on the Recharge Checkout.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
- BigCommerce Checkout Integration
Before you start
- Merchants on the Shopify Checkout Integration can add new customers through Shopify but will not be able to manually assign new subscriptions to customers. All net new customers must go through the checkout as the initial payment token creation needs to take place within the Shopify Checkout. If you have customers with existing payment tokens that need to be added to Recharge, review Migrating to Recharge.
- Refer to Managing your customers for more information on how you can manage your customers in the merchant portal.
Create a new customer
Open the Customers tab in your merchant portal and select Add Customer to begin creating a new customer.
On the following page, enter the customer's details such as first name, last name, email address, and shipping information. If your customer already exists within your payment processor account, you can enter their existing customer token. If your customer has yet to place an order, leave this field blank.
Once all the customer information is entered, click Save.
Note: If you plan on adding a subscription to your customer, you will need to add a credit card to their profile before it can be processed.
Add a subscription product manually
You can add a subscription product to the customer's account once they exist in Recharge.
- Access the customer's account in Recharge.
- Click Subscriptions on the left-side panel.
- Click Add Product to add products to the customer's subscription.
- Set the next charge date. If the charge should process today, enter today's date. Refer to Manually process a recurring order immediately for more information.
- Click Add Product.
Share the customer portal magic link
If the customer did not already exist in your payment processor account, send the customer portal magic link to the customer and request that they update their credit card in the Payment Method section. This step is not necessary if you entered their payment token as their billing information will have already been transferred.
Find the customer portal magic link by selecting Customer portal links and selecting the specific page you'd like to send the customer.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us