If you are the store owner, you can cancel your Recharge account at any time. Canceling your Recharge account stops billing on your Recharge account and ensures customers are not charged for subscriptions. This guide provides instructions on how to cancel your account and uninstall Recharge from your store.
Before you start
- Canceling your Recharge account will also disable the standard subscription widget on your storefront so no new customers can purchase subscriptions. If you use custom coding, including Ajax, to direct to the Recharge checkout you will need to disable custom code on your end.
- Canceling your ecommerce store will not automatically stop activity on your Recharge account. As they are separate systems, you will also need to cancel your Recharge account if you are shutting down your ecommerce account.
- Recharge does not have a built-in notification to alert customers that subscriptions will be ending. It is the responsibility of the store owner to alert customers of any changes or cancellations to their subscriptions.
Step 1 - Cancel your Recharge account
You can cancel your account at any time by following these steps:
- In the merchant portal click Settings.
- Select Store and then Cancel my account.
- Fill out the cancellation survey and then click on the Cancel my account button. A confirmation will appear that your account has been canceled.
Step 2 - Uninstall the Recharge app
Once the cancellation process is finished and the code disabled, you can remove the Recharge app from your ecommerce store.
For information on how to uninstall an app from Shopify, visit the Uninstalling apps guide.
For information on how to uninstall an app from BigCommerce, visit Using the app marketplace.
Will you notify my customers that I am shutting down subscriptions?
Recharge does not have a built-in notification to alert customers that subscriptions will be ending. It is the responsibility of the store owner to alert customers of any changes or cancellations to their subscriptions.
I'd like to cancel my account now but use Recharge again in the future. Is this possible?
Of course! If you would ever like to re-enable Recharge, reach out to the Recharge support team. The Recharge staff will help you reinstall Recharge and reactivate your account. Upon reactivation you are subject to the plan and fees outlined on the Recharge pricing page.
Can I pause my Recharge account?
Recharge recommends the following if you are looking to pause activity on your store:
- If you would like to keep your account active but temporarily disable the subscription widget to stop new customers from purchasing subscriptions, visit Enabling or disabling the Recharge subscription widget.
- If you would like to keep your account active but move future charge dates to delay billing, visit Editing upcoming charge dates. If you use a customer portal with an Order Now option, you will also want to disable this setting.
- If you are looking to temporarily deactivate your store, follow the process for canceling your Recharge account. You can reactivate your store at any time.
Does canceling my account remove the Recharge code from my store?
Canceling your Recharge account disables the Recharge code on your store. In most cases, this action removes the code entirely, however, if you have made customizations or manually added portions of the Recharge code you will need to manually revert those changes and manually remove the Recharge code.
If you are on the Recharge Checkout on Shopify, the Recharge code is implemented directly on your theme. Canceling the account disables the code so the widget and other Recharge features will no longer appear, but if you would like to remove the code entirely contact the Recharge Support team.
If you are on the Shopify Checkout Integration, Recharge uses a ScriptTag to implement the integration. Disabling the ScriptTag automatically removes the Recharge code from the theme.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us