Connecting PayPal via Braintree is a great way to offer your customers another secure payment method. Not only are you able to use PayPal on its own but you can also offer Stripe as a payment option too. By pairing these two secure and popular payment processors you're able to provide more choice and security for your customers.
Before you begin
- PayPal payments need to go through their subsidiary company, Braintree. The reason why is that Braintree is the only version of PayPal that allows the flexibility of changing or adjusting an existing subscription. Braintree supports PayPal as well as credit card payments.
- To accept PayPal, you'll need a PayPal Business account and a Braintree account. If you already have a PayPal Personal account, you can upgrade this for free.
- Be sure to review PayPal’s processing fees. If you refund an order, PayPal withholds the fixed fee portion.
- You can connect Braintree and Stripe simultaneously and allow credit cards to be processed in Stripe and PayPal to process in Braintree.
Step 1 - Sign up for a Braintree account
Step 2 - Enable Paypal in Braintree
To complete the setup in Braintree, you will need to connect your PayPal account to Braintree. Further instructions can be found in the Paypal Braintree guide.
Step 3 - Connect ReCharge to Braintree
- From the ReCharge Dashboard, click Settings > General Settings in Shopify or Settings > Payments (General) in BigCommerce, then select Braintree/PayPal from the dropdown menu.
- Enter your Braintree Merchant Id, Public Key, and Private Key into the fields below. To make PayPal available, you will need to select the Braintree PayPal Active checkbox.
View PayPal at checkout
Customers will see a PayPal option at checkout. They can log into their PayPal account to complete their purchase.
Test a PayPal transaction
PayPal doesn’t support a test or sandbox mode, so you will need to process a real transaction to test your PayPal connection. To test a PayPal transaction, use an alternate PayPal account at checkout, and then refund the order. It isn’t possible to check out using the same PayPal Business account connected to your site. Running a test transaction has more information and a video on the topic.
Note: PayPal charges a fixed fee on each transaction (for example, $0.30 for transactions for U.S.-based accounts) this fixed fee isn't returned for refunded transactions.
Connecting Paypal as a secondary payment processor
If you are currently using Stripe or Authorize.net, you can also enable Paypal via the Braintree integration.
- In the ReCharge Dashboard, click the wrench icon and General Settings.
- Under the Payment processors section, select Braintree/Paypal from the dropdown.
- Enter in your Braintree Merchant Id, Public Key, and Private Key.
- Check the Braintree Paypal Active checkbox.
- Click save.
- Return to the payment processor dropdown, and re-select your primary payment processor from the dropdown and click Save again.
Enable Apple Pay
If you are using Braintree as a your primary payment processor, you can join the Apple Pay beta. Visit Setting up Apple Pay for more information.
Who to contact for support
For anything else related to PayPal or Braintree, including declined charges, prohibited products, or required information, please contact Braintree or visit the PayPal or Braintree documentation. Popular articles include:
- Confirm your bank account
- Verify your account
- Withdraw your money
- Reset password
- Prohibited businesses