This is a basic setup guide for the Google Analytics integration. For more robust Google Analytics reporting, we recommend using Littledata - Google Analytics for Recharge. Littledata has an automated Google Analytics audit and set-up for sites using Recharge, including phone support and reporting.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
Add the tracking code
To add your existing Google Analytics ID:
- From the Recharge Dashboard, click Integrations.
- Locate the Google Analytics app and click Get.
- Enter your Google Analytics ID and choose the Google Analytics type.
Set up a goal funnel in Google Analytics
You need to set up a goal funnel in Google Analytics.
When the customer goes from /cart to /r/checkout, they will be switching from your ecommerce domain to the Recharge domain.
It is important to note that for this to work properly, you also need to have the same Google Analytics tracker in your Shopify store:
If you want to see which marketing campaigns resulted in paying subscriptions, Google Analytics needs to stitch together the first page of the user journey (which has the campaign UTM parameters) with the last page with the payment information. This is easily disrupted, see the troubleshooting steps below.
Using this integration it is possible to see channels and campaigns for most of your payments. However, for full attribution including repeat subscriptions, you will need to use Littledata - Google Analytics for Recharge.
If you are having trouble seeing the user journey in Google Analytics, check the following:
- Has the Google Analytics property ID been added in the Recharge Integrations section and is it set to the correct Universal vs Legacy type? Shopify stores should be on Universal.
- Can you see traffic to the checkout pages and not the ecommerce conversion tracking? Or is it not showing any traffic at all?
- Is the ecommerce information missing for all orders or only some of the orders?
Common Enhanced Ecommerce Issues
Below are a few common issues merchants experience with Enhanced Ecommerce.
|Google Analytics View filters exclude the Recharge hostname or include only the store's hostnames||
Check if view filters are set to either include only the company hostname or to exclude the Recharge hostname (checkout.rechargeapps.com).
|Enhanced Ecommerce reports are not visible in the Google Analytics reporting interface||
Ensure that Enhanced Ecommerce Reporting is enabled in your Google Analytics View settings.
|PayPal or Recharge is displayed as the source/medium driving revenue in marketing channels||Ensure that you exclude PayPal and Recharge as hosts from your referral exclusions property settings.|
|Google Analytics is not enabled in Shopify||
For Google Analytics to effectively work you will need to enable your Google Analytics account in Shopify.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us