You may be using line item properties to store data about your customer's subscriptions, such as product customizations. When a recurring order is processed in Recharge, the line item properties are sent to Shopify and reflected in the order. This guide provides instructions on updating line item properties for existing customers.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
Line item properties can only be updated within the merchant portal. If you require the ability for customers to adjust line item properties through their customer portal, this will require custom code and use of the Recharge API, as this is not part of Recharge's turnkey solution.
Adjust line item properties for individual products
Complete the following steps to adjust line item properties:
- Click Customers in your merchant portal, search and select the customer.
- Select the product to update.
- Click Actions and select Edit line item properties.
- Adjust properties as needed.
- Click Save.
Bulk update line item properties for multiple products
If you have 50 or more subscription products to update, the Recharge support team can facilitate a bulk update for you. You will need to prepare a CSV file with updated information and send it to the support team. Please accommodate 5 business days to complete the migration.
- In merchant portal, select Exports.
- Click Create export and select the Subscriptions - All export from the drop-down.
- In the CSV, add an additional column at the far right called NEW Line Item Properties.
- Fill in the column with the new line item property information in JSON format. For example:
You only need to fill in the rows that will be receiving the line item property update. Rows not receiving an update should be left blank.
- When finished, send the CSV to the Recharge support team.
Missing line item properties for some orders
If you use the Recharge Checkout on Shopify, you might notice that subscription line item properties are missing for certain products when viewing the various export CSV files. This happens when customers add products through their customer portal, as the subscription line item properties are only required for products being added through the regular checkout process. Subscription line item properties may also not appear if you have migrated your store to Recharge from another subscription platform.