Authorize.net is a payment gateway you can use to accept credit card payments for both checkout and recurring orders with Recharge. Once you have created your merchant account with Authorize.net, you will need to reach out to the Recharge support team to enable the gateway for your account.
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
Before you start
- Transactions will show up in the Transaction Details Report on Authorize.net, rather than the customer information manager.
- The integration can only connect to a live/production Authorize.net gateway account. Sandbox/test accounts will not work with Recharge.
- If you need to remove or update your Authorize.net credentials, please reach out to the Recharge support team.
Access Authorize.net API Keys and credentials
- Log in to your Merchant Interface at Authorize.net and click Account.
- Click on API Credentials & Keys in the Security Settings section.
- View and copy your API Login ID and generate the Transaction Key.
- Ensure that your currency is correct. Otherwise, you may risk incorrect charges for your customer.
- Follow Authorize.net's guide to accessing the API Login ID and Transaction key for more details.
- Contact Recharge support with the Login ID and Transaction Key to begin the process of activating Authorize.net.
Why is Authorize.net holding my payments?
Authorize.net may hold payments for a number of reasons, including fraud detection. It is recommended to check your Authorize.net account in the event that payment is quarantined and requires action. To prevent or reduce the number of false-positive fraud detections, we recommend the following:
- Disabling the Velocity Filter.
- Disabling the IP filter as the IPs sent are from Recharge rather than Authorize.net and we rotate through a list of IPs that may change in the future.
Common error codes
This guide highlights common error codes. For a full list of Authorize.net error codes, visit Authorize.net - Response Codes.
|E00007||User authentication failed due to invalid authentication values||Authorize.net does not allow you to view existing Transaction Keys. In clicking the Transaction Key page, it will automatically disable the current Transaction Key. If this happens, send the new credentials to our Support team to update.|
|252||AFDS filter triggered; transaction held for merchant review||
In Authorize.net, an order may receive a 252 error which indicates that the payment has been processed but has been quarantined for fraud review. We recommend addressing these orders as soon as possible when they are flagged in Authorize.net and disabling the Velocity Filter and IP filter.
Note: Recharge cannot check for this status and the order will still be present in Shopify for fulfillment.
|The reference transaction did not succeed. Only successful reference transactions are permitted.||This can mean that the transaction has not cleared in Authorizet.net or is caught in their fraud filter. You will need to reach out to Authorize.net for further assistance.|
|Your Authorize.net account is set to require the CVV code||The CVV code cannot be vaulted for recurring orders, so the first checkout order may process correctly by you may see an error on subsequent charges. To fix this error, you will need to turn off the CVV requirement in Authorize.net. Reach out to Recharge Support once updated and we can retry your error charges.|
|27||The transaction has been declined because of an AVS mismatch||This can happen when the billing address in Authorize.net is different than what is in Recharge. It is recommended that the customer update their billing address in Recharge. If the issue persists, the store owner should update the billing address manually in Authorize.net or temporarily turn off the AVS validator.|
|54||The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit||Authorize.net delays the transfer of funds for 24 hours. If you receive this message, try refunding the charge directly in Authorize.net. You may also need to confirm if the payment has been flagged in Authorize.net for review.|
Authorize.net delays the transfer of funds for 24 hours. If a refund is processed in that 24 hour period the transaction will be voided instead of refunded. After the initial 24 hour period transactions will be refunded. Review this guide from Authorize.net for more information on this policy.