From time to time, you may need to update your SKUs on your storefront, override an existing SKU, or even automate a SKU change between a sample product and the full-size version. This guide provides information on how SKUs work in ReCharge and how to update SKUs for future and existing subscription orders.
How SKUs work in ReCharge
By default, ReCharge uses the SKUs set on your products in Shopify. When a recurring order is queued, ReCharge references the SKU set on the product in Shopify. If you update the product SKU in Shopify, your upcoming orders will need to be regenerated and your products resynced.
If you would like to apply a different SKU than what exists in Shopify, you can create a SKU override by using the ReCharge Bulk Updater tool.
When ReCharge creates the hidden auto-renew products, the SKU from the original product is used. Though you can manually change the SKU on the auto-renew product in Shopify, syncing your ruleset in the future will remove the manual change.
Update SKUs on your storefront
- Once the product SKU is updated in Shopify, click the Rulesets tab in the ReCharge Dashboard.
- Locate the ruleset containing the product and click the pencil icon.
- To sync, click the sync icon next to the product or press the Sync all products button.
Update SKUs for existing subscriptions
Method 1 - Regenerate SKUs
By default, ReCharge uses the SKU that exists on the product in Shopify. When an upcoming order is created, ReCharge will reference the current SKU and populate the SKU in the order.
If you have updated the SKU on your Shopify product, the ReCharge support team can run a regeneration on your existing upcoming orders to sync the updated SKU.
- In the ReCharge Dashboard, click the wrench icon and select Exports.
- Email a copy of the Upcoming Orders CSV to your email. If you require prepaid shipment orders to be regenerated, you will also need a copy of the Upcoming Prepaid Orders CSV.
- In the CSV(s), remove any subscription orders that should not receive the SKU update.
- Send the finalized CSV(s) to the ReCharge support team with the subject line Regenerate SKU request.
Method 2 - Bulk update SKUs
If you have access to the ReCharge Bulk Updater, you can use this tool to update SKUs on your existing subscriptions. This will apply a SKU override to existing subscriptions, meaning ReCharge will reference this applied SKU and ignore the SKU on the product in Shopify.
- In the ReCharge Dashboard, click Integrations and select the Enabled integrations tab.
- Click the gear icon next to the ReCharge Bulk Updater tool.
- In the Select search filter dropdown, select SKU.
- In the search filter field, enter the current SKU. Click Find products.
- The prompt to export data will appear which will download a copy of your current subscription data. Click Export Data.
- From the Select Property dropdown, select SKU.
- In the Property search field, enter the new SKU that will replace the current SKU.
- Click Process Update to update the SKU.
Update SKUs between two orders automatically
You may want to change the SKU between the first order to second order, or change the SKU after a number of orders. This can be accomplished using the ReCharge Workflows tool. To enable ReCharge Workflows on your ReCharge account:
- In the ReCharge Dashboard, click Integrations.
- In the All integrations tab, click the Get button on the ReCharge Workflows app.
- Create your first workflow by selecting Create new workflow.
For more information, visit: