The order status, payment method status, subscription status, and customer status are all useful indicators of the state of a customer or specific orders. You can easily see at a quick glance the customer's order history and check to see if any orders may have an error. This guide highlights the different order, payment, subscription, and customer statuses and where to view each status.
The order status types will include the following categories:
- Success – The order was placed and charged correctly.
- Queued – The upcoming order has not processed yet.
- Refunded – A full refund has been issued for the order.
- Partially refunded - A partial refund has been issued on the order.
- Skipped – The customer has skipped one recurring order.
- Error – The order was not able to process, either due to a card error, product error, or shipping error.
- Not Validated - A new payment method has been added, but it has not been charged yet. This status will change when the payment method is charged.
View the order status
- From the ReCharge Dashboard, click Customers.
- Search and select the customer.
- In the main customer account page, select See Details next to the Address ID.
- Underneath Charges, towards the bottom of the following page, you can view the order status for each order.
Though there is no single column for order status, you can find the order status types in the following exports:
- Charges - Queued: Upcoming orders, upcoming prepaid orders
- Orders - Processed: Processed orders
- Orders - Error: Errors
- Charges - Skipped: Upcoming orders, Actions
Subscription status types will include the following categories:
- Active - If a subscription is still active and has not been cancelled by the customer or by reaching the max retry attempts.
- Cancelled - If a subscription has been cancelled by the customer or because it has been retried the allotted number of times.
- One-Time - Within the Purchase Items CSV, this status is used to indicate recorded purchases that were one-time or included in a mixed cart of items. It is used to differentiate from subscription purchase items.
View the subscription status
In the ReCharge Dashboard, click Customers. The number of active subscriptions will appear under # of active subscriptions.
Within an individual customer account, you can view active and inactive subscriptions. Subscriptions that have been cancelled, either by the customer or from reaching the max retry attempts, will appear with a strikethrough and an option to re-activate.
You can view active and inactive subscriptions within the ReCharge exports. You can view the status column in the Subscriptions - Status. You can also view the # of active subscriptions in Customers - Active.
Payment method status
Payment method status types include the following categories:
- Valid: Customer has a valid card on file.
- Invalid: Customer has an order error resulting from an invalid payment method, such as incorrect card number or insufficient funds.
View the payment method status
In the ReCharge Dashboard, click Customers. You can view the status under Payment Method:
Within the ReCharge exports, you can view the has Valid Payment Method column in the Customers report.
Deprecation of customer status - February 2020
Beginning February 2020, ReCharge will begin deprecating Customer Status in favor of using the # of active subscriptions and the Payment method status data points. As the determination of active and inactive customer status is based on a calculation of multiple data points, it may not always reflect a store's own definition of an active customer.
For example, a store may consider a customer who has passively churned due to repeat failed payments as an active customer as they have not cancelled their subscription. With the current Customer status column, this customer would appear as Inactive. By separating Customer Status into # of active subscriptions and payment method, a store can determine with more precision the customers who are still active by their own definition.
At this time, the Customer Status is still indicated on store Exports and on individual customer accounts in ReCharge. It will no longer be visible on the Customers page in the ReCharge Dashboard.
Using number of active subscriptions and payment method status
Using the examples below, you can determine the status of a customer based on the available data in the # of active subscriptions and Payment method column.
Customer with a current, active subscription
Customer has an active subscription on file and a working payment method, with no order errors.
Customer who has passively churnedCustomer has no active subscriptions because they have reached the allotted retry attempts. As the subscription order experienced a card error, the payment method is noted as invalid.
Customer with an error charge
Customer has an active subscription but has an order experiencing a card error.
Customer who has cancelled their subscriptionCustomer has cancelled all subscriptions on file and is considered actively churned.
Within the ReCharge exports, the customer status column may include the following status types:
- Active - Customers who currently have one or more subscriptions, and no errors.
- Active, has Order Error - Order has trouble with the inventory or shipping information.
- Card Processing Error - This includes insufficient funds, charge declines, inactive cards or billing information that needs updating.
- Inactive - Customers who had subscription orders but one of these actions occurred:
- Customer or Storeowner canceled the subscription orders.
- Subscription ended due to expiration.
View the status of a customer
In the ReCharge Dashboard, click Customers. Using the # of active subscriptions and Payment method, you can determine customer status based on the available data.
You can view the status of the customer directly from the customer's account. Click See Details, to view the customer status at the top of the page.
Within the ReCharge exports, you can view the customer status column in the Customers report, Customers - Active, and Events.