To set up specifically charged or free shipping, it is a two-part process which involves both your Shopify admin and ReCharge Shipping Settings. You will configure shipping rates by weight, then change the product weight to correspond. This guide provides instructions on how to set up weight-based shipping rates for your subscription products.
Before you start
- Weight-based shipping is recommended when using ReCharge. Price-based shipping does not work as Shopify only accepts certain parameters when returning shipping rates. If a customer applies a discount code, for example, the new price of the product is not factored into the shipping rule and the wrong rate may appear.
- Ensure that you check the weight of the default package as set by Shopify. This can also interfere with your shipping rules. We recommend setting the default package rate to 0.
Step 1 - Configure weight-based shipping in Shopify
- From the Shopify Dashboard, click on Settings and select Shipping.
- Click Edit next to the shipping zone to include the new rate. If you have not created any shipping zones, click Add shipping zone.
- In the section titled Weight based rates, click on Add Rate.
- Specify a Name, Minimum and Maximum order weight, and the shipping rate amount.
- Click Done when finished.
- Click Save to save your changes.
Note: Shopify views rulesets in lbs but the actual weight in the cart token as grams. Shopify does the conversion which can result in minor rounding errors if your weight range is too narrow.
Step 2 - Add weights to your products in Shopify
Add the new corresponding rates to the products in Shopify. Open the product in your Shopify admin and scroll down to Shipping. Under Weight, enter in your product weight so it qualifies for your shipping rates. Click Save when finished.
Step 3 - Set ReCharge to Charge Shipping
After setting up your shipping rates and weights, you will need to go into your ReCharge shipping settings and make sure that the Charge shipping radio button is selected.
- In the ReCharge Dashboard, click the wrench icon. Select Shipping from the dropdown.
- On the following page, select Charge shipping.
- Click Save.