ReCharge customers and orders are automatically tagged when they are created in Shopify. Order tags are useful as you can sort your orders in Shopify to identify new subscriptions and also determine how long a customer has been subscribed. You can also use this information during fulfillment to reward new or existing customers.
Shopify order tags
Individual order tags are only available to merchants using the ReCharge checkout. These tags are updated using the Shopify API. As a result, there may be delays that can occur if the Shopify API experiences any issues.
If you or a third-party app relies on the data included in the tags, we recommend using the ReCharge API directly.
Subscription orders will have the tag Subscription applied as well as either Subscription First Order or Subscription Recurring Order.
Note: Only orders that pass through the ReCharge checkout will have the "Subscription First Order" tag applied. Orders that are manually added in through the ReCharge dashboard or created through a third-party integration will not have the tag applied.
If the order contains a prepaid subscription product, it would also include the tag Prepaid. Since prepaid orders contain an initial charge order, the subscription tags will also be included.
For example, a 3-Month pre-paid subscription without an expiration would have the following tags:
- 1st Order: Subscription First Order
- 2nd Order: Subscription First Order, Prepaid
- 3rd Order: Subscription First Order, Prepaid
If the customer does not cancel or the subscription does not have an expiration, this cycle would repeat itself:
- 4th Order: Subscription Recurring Order
- 5th Order: Subscription Recurring Order, Prepaid
- 6th Order: Subscription Recurring Order, Prepaid
Note that the 1st and 4th orders do not indicate a prepaid order. This is because these orders have a charge amount since it is the beginning of a prepaid cycle. Any prepaid orders that follow will have the Prepaid tag until the next charge in the cycle.
Shopify customer tags
Customer profiles in Shopify are also depending on the status of the customer in ReCharge:
- Active Subscriber – Denotes a customer with an active subscription on file.
- Inactive Subscriber – Denotes a customer who has actively canceled all subscriptions on file.
- Subscription card declined – Denotes a customer who is in an error state.
Merchants on the Shopify checkout have the same tags but have different verbiage:
- Active product subscription
- Paused product subscription
- Canceled product subscription
- Expired product subscription
- Never subscribed
- Failed payment
Append order tags in the note field
On the ReCharge checkout, you can append the Subscription First Order or Subscription Recurring Order in the order note fields in Shopify. If you would like this beta feature enabled, reach out to the ReCharge support team.
Filtering your subscription orders and customers
- In the Shopify Admin, select Orders.
- Select More filters and click Sales Channel.
- Click ReCharge Recurring Billing & Subscriptions and click Done.
- In the Shopify Admin, select Customers.
- Click Filters and select Tagged with from the dropdown
- Type subscriber and click Add filter.
You can use Shopify to export a list of only subscription orders.
- In the Shopify Admin, select Orders > All Orders.
- Select More filters and click Sales channel.
- Click ReCharge Recurring Billing & Subscription and click Done.
- Click Export in the left-hand corner of the Orders page.
- Select Current search under Export.
- Click Export orders.