MailChimp is an email marketing service, sending over 10 billion marketing emails per month on behalf of its users. It works by linking customer records to a mailing list within MailChimp. ReCharge creates a customer record for each customer automatically.
How it works
When a Shopify order is completed, a webhook is processed to see if the customer agreed to marketing. If so, they are subscribed to the list at MailChimp.
When a Shopify order is paid for, the order information is passed to MailChimp via API methods to support eCommerce data. When an order is canceled in Shopify, MailChimp will delete the order from the customer's eCommerce profile in MailChimp to ensure that the Shopify store and MailChimp are in sync with correct order information.
When a customer account is created, updated or deleted, MailChimp checks to see if the customer agreed to marketing. If so, the customer is subscribed to the list at MailChimp. If the customer did not agree to marketing, the customer is unsubscribed. When a customer unsubscribes in MailChimp, the customer account will be updated in Shopify to reflect that they no longer wish to receive marketing.
Enabling the enhanced ReCharge integration
The integration requires a MailChimp API key to be collected and manually entered into ReCharge. Follow the steps below on how to do this.
- Enable the MailChimp integration in the ReCharge app.
- Go into your MailChimp account, select Account, and then the menu at the top titled Extras, and select API Keys.
- Copy the API Key at the bottom or create one if you have not already Create A Key button at the bottom.
- Go to Integrations at the top of your ReCharge Dashboard, and select Get under the one for MailChimp.
- You'll be taken to a second page, where you'll be asked to enter an API Key and select the list you'd like canceled subscribers to be added to, then you're done!
If you need help with creating a list in MailChimp first, see this guide.
If you have any other questions or issues that come up with setting up the MailChimp integration, contact us.