If you delete a product or variant in Shopify that customers are still subscribed to, it will cause the error Variant removed from Shopify. This can also happen if you change your variant options. Existing customers that point to the old variant ID will not have orders generated.
ReCharge requires the variant ID to be present in Shopify to generate and create orders. If you remove a variant or change a variant, you will need to assign a new variant ID so the ReCharge system has a new variant ID to reference. If this error occurs, you can use the ReCharge Variant Fixer Tool to re-assign your products to the new product or variant in Shopify.
Before you start
- Re-assigning variant IDs using this tool will replace the SKU with the SKU associated with this new variant ID. Confirm in Shopify that the replacement product has the correct SKU.
- This tool will automatically retry any failed orders experiencing the variant removed error following the variant ID reassignment.
- If you suspect a broken variant but no products are listed in the Variant Fixer Tool, reach out to ReCharge support.
- The Variant Fixer Tool only reassigns the variant ID, it does not update any of the product information. Updating information such as the price, product or variant title would need to be done through a bulk update, or by using the Bulk Updater Tool.
Step 1 - Review broken variant
- Access the Variant Fixer Tool.
- Click on the Broken Active tab.
- Review each product title and variant title combination in this tab to identify which variant or product you may have changed in Shopify.
Step 2 - Select replacement variant
- Click the wrench icon next to the product you would like to fix.
- Under Replacement variant, search and select the product that will replace the old variant.
- Click Find variants. If your product has multiple variant options, you will be prompted to select which variant applies.
Step 3 - Fix broken variant
- When your replacement variant has been selected, click Fix variant.
- A confirmation window will pop-up. Click export your current variants to download a copy of your current product variants in case you need to revert.
- Once downloaded, click Confirm.