Customers may subscribe to a product and tire of it after months of receiving the same product. To prevent customers from churning, you may want to offer them the option of updating their subscription product.
Customers may want to swap to a new product altogether, or to a different variation of the same product they are currently subscribed to. While customers subscribed on a month-to-month basis can swap their products through the customer portal, customers subscribed to prepaid products must contact you to update their subscription.
This guide explains how you can update the prepaid subscription product for a customer on their next queued order.
Step 1 - Add the new product to the subscription
To update a prepaid product for an existing subscription, you must begin by adding the new prepaid product to the customer's subscription. Adding the new prepaid product ensures that the customer is subscribed to the right product on their next recurring order.
- Locate the customer through the Customers tab in your merchant portal. This will open the merchant portal for the specific customer.
- Click the + Add product.
- Click Select to pick the product to add and select Next to proceed.
- Review the product properties, select your variant, and the charge date.
- The charge date set should be at the end of the previous prepaid cycle.
- Click Add product to add it to the subscription.
If the subscription has already expired
Some prepaid subscriptions are set to expire after a certain amount of charges. You will need to immediately cancel the subscription for the new product as well if the customer's subscription has already expired and they still would like to update the product for any remaining shipments. This ensures that the product is reflected correctly in the customer portal.
Step 2 - Cancel the old product
You must cancel the old product to prevent the customer from receiving multiple charges. Canceling the old product ensures that Recharge uses the new product for all future recurring charges.
- Click Actions on the old subscription line and select Cancel subscription.
- Provide a reason for cancelation. You can use the "Other" option and leave a brief comment to describe the situation before canceling the subscription.
- Click Cancel to confirm.
Step 3 - Swap SKU for the existing queued shipment
When a customer purchases a prepaid subscription, all of the shipments for that subscription are created at one time and are scheduled based on the subscription rules set. Each of these queued shipments includes the original product customer prepaid for.
Once you have canceled the original product, you must update the remaining shipments for the current prepaid subscription from the original product to the new product by performing a SKU swap. This ensures that the customer receives the new products on all remaining queued shipments.
- Click the cancelled prepaid product and select the first order in the Upcoming orders section.
- Click See details, then select the three dots under Order details to Add product.
- Click Select to choose the new product and click Next to proceed.
- Select the correct variant and quantity then click Add product.
- Once the new product is added, click the trash can icon beside the old product to remove it from the shipment.
- Click Remove to confirm.
- Repeat these steps to adjust the product for any remaining queued shipments.
Step 4 - Confirm the change with your customer
Review the customer's subscription once you have added the new product to the remaining queued shipments as well as removed the original product:
- Confirm that all queued shipments contain the new product variant.
- Confirm that the next queued charge has the correct charge date.
- Update the charge date on the order if necessary.
- Confirm that the product variant on the shipments for the upcoming queued charge is correct.
If everything appears as expected, inform your customer that the changes have been made to their subscription.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us