- Watch a video
- Before you begin
- Step 1 - Create a new discount code
- Step 2 - Choose the discount type
- Optional - Set the minimum purchase requirements
- Step 3 - Apply discount to a specific product or collection
- Step 4 - Select the product type
- Step 5 - Add a usage limit
- Step 6 - Set a start and end date.
- Step 7 - Review and save
- Bulk upload discount codes
- Use the API to create discount codes
Creating a discount code is a great way to add value to your customer's purchase. Discount codes can be used in a variety of ways, from a single purchase to a recurring subscription. Discounts are a great way to improve customer loyalty and obtain new customers. In ReCharge, you can create fixed or percentage discounts and free shipping discounts for your customers to use on the checkout or in their customer portal.
This guide provides instructions on creating discount codes in ReCharge and an explanation of each setting.
Watch a video
Before you begin
Due to a Shopify limitation, discount codes for subscriptions must be created in ReCharge. If a discount code should apply to both one-time products and subscription products, you will have to create the code in Shopify and in ReCharge.
Step 1 - Create a new discount code
- In the ReCharge Dashboard, click on the wrench icon and select Discounts.
- Click the Create discount code button in the upper right-hand corner.
- Enter the discount code name you wish to create. Note that the discount names are not case-sensitive.
Step 2 - Choose the discount type
Choose between fixed amount, percentage, or shipping discount and enter the total discount amount.
Optional - Set the minimum purchase requirements
If you want to set a minimum cart total before enabling a discount you can select Minimum purchase amount and enter the dollar amount that the customer must reach before the discount code is enabled.
Note: Minimum amount discounts can only be applied during checkout and only to the first charge. They can not be applied to existing customers via the customer portal, admin UI, or API. The discount will apply to the entire order amount and cannot be applied to a single product or collection.
Step 3 - Apply discount to a specific product or collection
You may want to create a discount that only applies to a specific product or a specific collection. Under Applies to, select the product or collection. If the discount code applies to all products or collections or if you are creating a shipping discount, you can skip this step.
Step 4 - Select the product type
You have the option to apply the discount to all product types, one-time products or subscription products.
Step 5 - Add a usage limit
You can set usage limits to control how many times the discount code is used by subscribers.
Limit number of times this discount can be used in total – When checked, you will be prompted to enter in a total amount. This will be the number of times the discount code can be used in total across your customer base. For example, if you enter 100, this discount code could be used by 100 customers.
Limit to one subscription per customer – When checked, this setting will limit the use of the discount code to one per customer. ReCharge uses the e-mail address on file to determine if the customer has used the discount code previously.
How many times should the discount apply to the customer's order? – This determines the usage limit on a customer basis. For example, if you select one charge only, the discount code will apply to a single charge and then expire. If you select All charges, the discount code will apply to all subsequent subscription orders for that customer until they cancel their subscription. If you would like to limit how many orders, select Set amount of charges.
Step 6 - Set a start and end date.
If your discount code should begin on a specific date, you can use the date picker to select the start date. You can also specify the expiration date by selecting Set an expiration date for new customers. The date of expiration is 11:59:59pm EST.
The expiration date applies to new checkout orders. For example, if you set an expiration date but your discount code is set to apply to All charges, existing subscribers with the discount code will still receive the discount code for the duration of their subscription. However, new customers coming through the checkout will not be able to use the discount code after the expiration date.
Step 7 - Review and save
Before clicking Save at the bottom of the page, be sure to review the settings of your discount code. Once created, discount codes cannot be edited and will need to be deleted and re-created.
Bulk upload discount codes
If you have more than 100 codes to create, the ReCharge team can perform a bulk upload for you.
- Download the Bulk Discount CSV.
- Fill out the CSV with the following information:
- Discount code
- Discount duration (if it only applies to the first charge or to the recurring charges also)
- Discount type (is it % of the charge or fixed amount) and its value
- How many times can the discounts be used
- Does it apply to subscriptions only or also to one time products?
- Does it apply to a specific product and which product will be?
- Are all columns filled with data? (CSVs with added columns that are blank will be returned)
- Send the CSV file to the ReCharge support team.
Use the API to create discount codes
Additionally, you could consider using the ReCharge API in tandem with the Shopify API to create discount codes automatically in both systems. When a new code is created in Shopify, you can set up a webhook to trigger a similar action in ReCharge. As this is a custom modification, you will need the help of a third-party developer.