- Before you begin
- Step 1 - Create a new discount code
- Step 2 - Choose the discount type
- Optional - Set the minimum purchase requirements
- Step 3 - Apply discount to a specific product or collection
- Step 4 - Select the product type
- Optional - Select channel permissions
- Step 5 - Add application limits
- Step 6 - Set a start and end date
- Step 7 - Review and save
- Bulk upload discount codes
- Bulk import discounts from Shopify to Recharge
Discounts are a great way to improve customer loyalty and obtain new customers. Discount codes can be used in a variety of ways, from a single purchase to a recurring subscription. In Recharge, you can create fixed or percentage discounts and free shipping discounts for your customers to use in the checkout or in their customer portal. This guide provides instructions for creating discount codes in Recharge.
Before you begin
- Due to an API limitation, discount codes for subscriptions must be created in Recharge. If a discount code should apply to both one-time products and subscription products, you will have to create the code in your eCommerce platform and in Recharge. It is recommended to always create your discount code in both Recharge and your eCommerce platform, to prevent any issues for your customers. See Creating coupon codes in BigCommerce or Creating discount codes in Shopify.
- The discount code settings configured in Recharge must match the discount code settings configured in your eCommerce platform.
- Discount codes can not be edited after being created. For more information see Unable to edit a discount code.
Step 1 - Create a new discount code
- In the Recharge Dashboard, click the wrench icon and select Discounts.
- Click Create discount code.
- Enter the discount code name you wish to create. Note that the discount names are not case-sensitive.
Step 2 - Choose the discount type
Choose between fixed amount, percentage, or shipping discount and enter the total discount amount.
Optional - Set the minimum purchase requirements
If you want to set a minimum cart total before the discount code can be applied, you can select Minimum purchase amount and enter the dollar amount that the customer must reach during checkout.
Minimum requirements and Applies to (explained in step 3), can be combined to create discount codes that require a minimum purchase amount and are restricted to only certain products, or to products in a certain collection.
Note: Discounts with a minimum purchase amount can only be applied during checkout and only to the first charge. They can not be applied to existing customers via the customer portal or within the Recharge merchant portal.
Step 3 - Apply discount to a specific product or collection
You may want to create a discount that only applies to a specific product or collection. Select the product or collection under Applies to. If the discount code applies to all products or collections or if you are creating a shipping discount, you can skip this step.
If your discount is set to apply to a certain product or collection and you have set a minimum purchase requirement, the discount code will check to make sure the minimum spend is based on the specified products. For more information, visit Discounts FAQ.
Step 4 - Select the product type
If your discount code does not have a minimum purchase requirement, you have the option to apply the discount to all product types, one-time products, or subscription products.
Optional - Select channel permissions
If your discount code does not have a minimum purchase requirement, you can enable and limit which channels will accept the discount code. Channel controls cannot be set for discounts with a minimum purchase amount, because these discounts are automatically restricted to checkout only.
- Checkout page - Any discount applied via the Recharge Checkout or the Checkout API used by merchants who have built their own checkout.
- Merchant portal - Any discount applied within the Recharge Dashboard, typically by the merchant.
- Customer portal - Any discount applied via the customer portal, typically by the customer.
- API: Any discount applied via the
apply_discountAPI endpoints used for bulk discount application, automated discount application via integration, or other custom merchant use.
Step 5 - Add application limits
You can set application limits to control how many times the discount code is used by subscribers.
- Limit number of times this discount can be applied in total - When checked, you will be prompted to enter a total amount. This will be the number of times the discount code can be applied in total across your customer base. For example, if you enter 100, this discount code could be used by 100 customers.
- Limit to one subscription per customer - When checked, this setting limits the application of the discount code to one per customer. Recharge uses the email address on file to determine if the customer has previously used the discount code.
- Limit to first-time subscribers only - This restricts the discount so that it can only be applied by customers who do not already exist in Recharge and have not previously purchased a subscription product from your store. This check is based on their email and which subscriptions are associated with that email.
- How many times should the discount apply to the customer's subscription? – This determines the application limit on a customer basis. For example, if you select one charge only, the discount code will apply to a single charge and then expire. If you select All charges, the discount code will apply to all subsequent subscription orders for that customer until they cancel their subscription. If you would like to limit how many orders, select Set amount of charges.
Step 6 - Set a start and end date.
If you want your discount code to begin on a specific date, you can use the date picker to select the start date. You can also specify the expiration date by selecting Set an expiration date for new customers. The date of expiration is 11:59:59pm EST.
The expiration date applies to new customers only. For example, if you set an expiration date but your discount code is set to apply to All charges, existing subscribers with the discount code will still receive the discount code for the duration of their subscription. However, new customers coming through the checkout will not be able to use the discount code after the expiration date.
Step 7 - Review and save
Before clicking Save at the bottom of the page, be sure to review the settings of your discount code. Once created, discount codes cannot be edited, you will need to delete and recreate them if you wish to make any adjustments.
Bulk upload discount codes
If you have at least 100 discount codes to create, the Recharge team can perform a bulk upload for you. For more information, visit Creating discount codes in bulk.
Bulk import discounts from Shopify to Recharge
With the Shopify Discount Import feature, merchants can import supported discount codes created in Shopify to Recharge, up to a maximum of 100,000 discount codes at a time.
See Using the Shopify Discount Import feature to learn how you can opt-in to use this beta feature, unsupported discount types, and how to import your discount codes once the feature is enabled.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us