Migrating to Recharge
If you are migrating to Recharge from another Shopify subscription platform and are currently using one of Shopify’s eligible subscription payment processors, there is no limit to the number of subscribers you can migrate. Our self-service migration resources will assist you every step of the way. Hundreds of merchants have completed the migration to Recharge and we help do this with as little impact on your existing subscribers as possible.
Before you start
- If you are a merchant with existing subscribers and are currently using one of Shopify’s eligible subscription payment processors on another subscription platform (such as Bold.v2, Ordergroove.v2, Paywhirl.v2, etc), see Migrating to Recharge using a Shopify subscription payment processor.
- If you are a merchant with existing subscribers using another subscription platform (such as Bold.v1, Ordergroove.v1, Cratejoy, etc), that are not currently using one of Shopify’s eligible subscription payment processors, see Migrating to Recharge via the Shopify Checkout Integration.
- If you are a merchant using another eCommerce platform such as BigCommerce or a Shopify merchant that previously installed Recharge before November 2nd, 2020 and have access to the Recharge Checkout on Shopify, continue with the guide below.
- Analytic information is not migrated during subscription migrations. Migrated customers will show as new customers on the date your migration is completed.
- Historical data is not migrated during subscription migrations. This applies to all migrations.
Step 1 - Prep for migration
Before migrating any data over, you must get started with Recharge. This ensures that your store continues operating throughout the migration process, allowing all new subscribers to flow through the Recharge platform, and eliminates the possibility of missing customers during the data pull from your old platform.
While setting up your store, be sure to fill out the Migration Questionnaire (click “Start your migration plan” at the bottom of the page). Submitting this form informs our team that you are in the preparatory phase and will be migrating your existing data soon.
If you are a BigCommerce merchant, you must ensure that the customer exists in BigCommerce before you begin the migration process. You can perform a bulk import if you need to add multiple customers to BigCommerce.
Step 2 - Compile customer and payment data
Once you are live on Recharge, you can export your customer and subscription data from your old platform. By exporting this data after you have gone live on Recharge, you can be confident that all existing data will be included in the migration.
Once you have your exports, you will utilize the Migration Template to alter your data into a Recharge digestible format. This template outlines the file structure that is compatible with our Bulk Actions tool used to load your existing data into Recharge. Please also ensure that you are on a supported Payment Processor.
If you are a BigCommerce merchant and are unable to access the Variant IDs for each product, you can include the variant name instead. The variant name must be spelled exactly as it appears in BigCommerce for the variant information to migrate successfully.
Step 3 - Data validation and migration import
After compiling your customer and payment data, you can use our Migrations Bulk Actions tool to validate and import your data. When using this tool, the validation phase helps you identify any potential errors or warnings with your data (see Fixing migration errors for additional assistance). Once your file is fully validated, process the file into Recharge.
Step 4 - Finalize migration
Once migration import is complete, there are a few more steps to take before migration is finalized:
- If you are a Shopify merchant, reach out to the Migrations team to complete a payment method sync.
- Review the Post-migration checklist to ensure all data has been migrated as you intended once you’ve finished migrating your customer data. The checklist walks you through verifying your data inside the Recharge platform to ensure nothing was imported incorrectly.
- Contact your old subscription provider to terminate your account. This ensures that customers are not double-billed between the two platforms.
If you have any questions, refer to our Migrations FAQ.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us