Troubleshooting emails and notifications
This guide provides troubleshooting tips and solutions for Recharge emails and notifications. For general information and a video visit the Notifications article.
- A customer did not receive an Upcoming Order notification
- A customer is claiming they are not receiving any notifications
- Customers did not receive a cancellation notification after canceling their subscription
- Customers are not receiving their fulfillment notification emails from Shopify
- Wrong currency displaying in email notifications
- Not receiving BCC emails
- DMARC policy
A customer did not receive an Upcoming Order notification
By default, Upcoming Order notifications are sent three days before the charge date, between the hours of 5 PM PST and 12 AM PST. You can adjust this setting in your Notification settings.
For upcoming orders, customers receive one notification. If a customer receives this notification and then moves their upcoming charge date, they will not receive a second notification.
A customer is claiming they are not receiving any notifications
Ensure the notification is enabled, then try the following:
- The customer may have misspelled their email address. Confirm the customer's correct email they registered and check if it matches what is listed on their customer account.
- If the email matches, ask the customer to check their spam/junk folder.
- If the first two options do not resolve the issue, contact the Recharge support team with the customer's email address to verify if there was a successful delivery status response.
Customers did not receive a cancellation notification after canceling their subscription
The subscription cancellation notification does not send every time a customer cancels a subscription. There are a few cases where Recharge will not send the email:
- If the orders in a customer account have hit the max retry limit. If Recharge cannot bill the customer and the customer account is canceled, the customer will not get a notification unless your max retry settings are set to cancel and send email.
- If the checkout order was placed on the same day of cancellation. This is to avoid customers signing up for a prepaid gift subscription receiving a cancellation email.
- If the customer still has active subscriptions on file. The notification is only sent when all subscriptions on file are canceled.
Customers are not receiving their fulfillment notification emails from Shopify
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
Check that the fulfillment notification setting is enabled:
- Click Settings in your merchant portal and select Notifications.
- Scroll down to Additional settings and click the toggle to enable the Send fulfillment notification.
Contact your third-party fulfillment app and request they add an extra API call to their order process to include the following indicators:
Wrong currency displaying in email notifications
By default, Recharge email notifications display your store's currency. Custom coding and styling of email notifications can override the default behavior. To fix this error, try the following:
- Click Settings in the merchant portal and open Notifications.
- Locate the notification that contains the currency error.
- Check the Email message contents for the currency symbol in use.
- If the currency is incorrect, change the symbol to the correct currency and click Save.
Not receiving BCC emails
The BCC email address cannot be the same as the
From: email address.
The Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance policy (DMARC) is an email authentication protocol designed to protect domains from email spoofing. In some cases, email notifications are not sent because your store domain has an SPF or DKIM record put in place. This policy blocks certain emails from being sent on behalf of the domain they are configured on.
To fix this, add an exception to the policy for emails to be sent out on behalf of the domain.
Check if you have added Recharge to your DMARC policy by using a website like DMARCanalyzer. You can also reach out to the Recharge support team to see if Recharge is added as the exception to your DMARC policy.
If Recharge is not added as the exception, access your domain host and add the following to your DMARC policy as a Custom DNS record:
v=spf1 include:email.rechargeapps.com ~all
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us