If you're new to our ReCharge Workflow tool, this guide answers common questions about its use and how to get started.
- How do I control the recurring subscription product after the trial ends?
- I want the trial period to be shorter than the actual subscription frequency, how do I achieve this with Workflows?
- How do I charge shipping on the free trial item, but not on recurring orders?
- Why isn't my Workflow getting triggered?
- What’s to stop my customers from ordering a free trial product and then canceling before the paid recurring order occurs?
- I have a free trial running, but I need to increase the subscription price for after the trial has ended. How do I do that?
- Can I stack multiple workflows?
How do I control the recurring subscription product after the trial ends?
Two things determine the product attributes after the trial ends:
- The actions you set in the ReCharge Workflow tool
- The ruleset in which the recurring product is located
For example, if all you need to do is change the price from $0.00 on the hidden product to $10.00 on the recurring product, you’d use an Action to set the price to $10.00. The order frequency is established in the ruleset, as with any other ReCharge subscription product.
I want the trial period to be shorter than the actual subscription frequency, how do I achieve this with Workflows?
You can use the Charge Delay action to set when the queued recurring order will take place. After that, the recurring orders will use the frequency established by the product’s ruleset.
How do I charge shipping only on the free trial item, but not on recurring orders?
Follow the Shipping by Weight guide to set the weight of the free trial "hidden" auto-renew product to match the appropriate weight for the shipping charge you want to apply at checkout. In the Workflow tool, add actions for shipping title, shipping price, and shipping code. This will be applied to the recurring subscription orders.
Why isn't my Workflow getting triggered?
Is your search set to "equal" rather than "contains"? Keep in mind that you're searching for the hidden duplicate product that's created after saving the ruleset. This product includes "auto-renew" in its title, so you'll either need to broaden your Search to "contains" or use the exact product title (ie. "Product X Auto-renew").
What’s to stop my customers from ordering a free trial product and then canceling before the paid recurring order occurs?
In the Customer Portal settings, you can restrict the ability for customers to cancel their own subscriptions. Instead, they’ll need to email you to cancel their subscription. Alternatively, you can allow customers to cancel after a specific number of charges. You should set this to at least two if you’re running a trial since the free initial purchase counts as a charge:
I have a free trial running, but I need to increase the subscription price for after the trial has ended. How do I do that?
You’ll need to update the pricing in two places. First, update the price of the original product on Shopify’s end. Any time you make a change like this, you also have to re-sync the product in the ReCharge Ruleset. Second, you’ll need to update the price on the Workflow Action to match the new price for the recurring orders.
Note: These updates do not affect existing subscriptions, as they only apply to new sign-ups to the trial subscription. You’ll need to manually adjust any existing customer subscriptions.