ARPU allows you to add one-time upsells to your ReCharge upcoming order notification emails. This allows your subscribers to add products to their next order, all without needing to re-enter payment info or logging into the customer portal.
These emails are sent a few days before your subscriber’s next billing cycle and have one of the highest open rates. By turning your upcoming order email into an upsell opportunity, it’s an easy “set it & forget it” method to increase your monthly recurring revenue. This guide will go over everything you need to know from integration to launching ARPU.
- Add two-click upsells to your ReCharge upcoming order emails
- Add a “skip order” button to your ReCharge upcoming order emails
- Upcoming order email analytics (open, click, purchase rates, and revenues)
- Easily migrate your existing design from your existing ReCharge notification email
Step 1 - Integrate ARPU
With just a few clicks, you’ll be up and running -- no code required. Follow the directions below to create an account with ARPU and connect it with Recharge:
- Create an ARPU account.
- Go to your account settings page.
- Connect ARPU with your Shopify account and follow the prompts on the screen.
- Connect ARPU with your ReCharge account and follow the prompts on the screen.
...and you’re done! ARPU is now pulling your product information from Shopify, and the upcoming subscription orders from ReCharge. It may take a few hours for this process to finish syncing.
Step 2 - Add your upsell products
- Click on Products in the left-side banner.
- You can search by either the Product Title or Product ID. We recommend searching based on the Product ID. For more information, visit How to find Shopify product ID number.
- For the products you choose, make sure there is also an active ruleset for the products in ReCharge.
- Once your products are added, you have the option to provide a discount for your subscribers by using the discount drop-down.
Step 3 - Design your upcoming order email
If you have an existing ReCharge upcoming order e-mail you would like to use:
- In the ReCharge Dashboard, click the wrench icon and select Notifications.
- Click on Upcoming charge.
- Copy the entire message in the Email message textbox.
- Go into your email section of the ARPU portal.
- If you have a developer familiar with HTML, follow the prompts on the page to add the variables to enable the ARPU features into your email. Otherwise, send us an email and we’ll help you set it up.
If you do not have an existing Upcoming order e-mail in ReCharge:
- Use the Brand Settings page to add the colors, logo, and image sizes for your upcoming order email.
- Modify the Header Text and Header Background. Use the Preview Page to preview your modifications.
- Modify the font and button colors. In the screenshot below, you can see how each element is rendered in your e-mail.
- Modify the footer background and text colors.
Step 4 - Test ARPU before launching
There are two main ways to test ARPU before launching:
Method 1 – Preview Test
To preview the email, click on Preview in the left banner and then click Send Preview. Type in your email to receive the test email.
Method 2 – Live testing using the selective send feature
Create or use an existing email tied to an active ReCharge subscription. Search for the customer profile in Shopify and create a Customer Tag with the same word you created in the previous step.
In this example, we’ll create a tag called ARPU. Make sure you’re creating a customer tag and not an order tag.
Log-in to ReCharge and click on Customers. Search for the same email, and edit the Next Charge Date to be within 2-3 days of the current day.
Go back into ARPU and turn it live by clicking the button on the top left
You should receive the email in about 10-15 minutes. When you receive it, pretend you are a custo mer and go through the entire purchase journey! After you’ve purchased the upsell one-time extras, you can cross-reference in ReCharge by looking at the account’s subscription summary. You’ll see the products as a one-time order.
That’s it! When you’re finally to enable ARPU for all your customers, make sure you turn off ReCharge’s upcoming order email.
When you’re ready, turn off selective send in ARPU and it’ll start sending to your subscribers!