This guide will go over everything you need to know from integration to launching ARPU.
What Is ARPU?
ARPU allows you to add one-time upsells to your ReCharge upcoming order notification emails. This allows your subscribers to add products to their next order, all without needing to re-enter payment info or logging into the customer portal.
These emails are sent a few days before your subscriber’s next billing cycle and have one of the highest open rates. By turning your upcoming order email into an upsell opportunity, it’s an easy “set it & forget it” method to increase your monthly recurring revenue.
Getting Started By Integrating ARPU
With just a few clicks, you’ll be up and running -- no code required. Follow the directions below to create an account with ARPU and connect it with Recharge.
1.Create an ARPU account here
2.Go to your account’s setting page
3. Connect ARPU with your SHOPIFY account and follow the prompts
4. Connect ARPU with your RECHARGE account and follow the prompts
And you’re done! ARPU is now pulling your product information from Shopify, and the upcoming subscription orders from ReCharge. It may take a few hours for this process to finish.
Adding Your Upsell Products
1. Click on “Products” in the left-side banner
2. You can search by either the Product Title or Product ID. We recommend to search based on the Product ID (guide)
3. For the products you decide on using, make sure there is also an active ReCharge Ruleset for the products you use (video tutorial)
4. Once your products are added, you have the option to provide a discount for your subscribers if you’d like by using the “discount” drop-down.
And that’s it! You can add up to 6 upsell products to show up on your upcoming order email.
Designing Your Upcoming Order Email
If you have an existing ReCharge Upcoming Order Email Design To Migrate Over
1. Go into your ReCharge Account → Notifications and then click on the “Upcoming Order”
2. Copy and paste the entire message in the “Email Message”
3. Go into your ARPU portal and go to getarpu.com/email/customize
4. If you have a developer familiar with HTML, follow the prompts on the page to add the variables to enable the ARPU features into your email. Otherwise, send us an email at email@example.com and we’ll help you set it up.
If you DON’T have an existing ReCharge Upcoming Order Email Design To Migrate Over
1. Use the “Brand Settings” page to the colors + logo + image sizes for your upcoming order email
2. Modify the Header Text and Header Background (see below for what areas the brand settings page changes)
3. Modify the Font & Button colors (see below for what areas the brand settings page changes)
4. Modify the Footer background & text colors (see below for what areas the brand settings page changes)
How To Test ARPU Before Launching
There are two main ways to test ARPU before launching.
Method 1: Preview Test
1. To preview the email, click on “Preview” in the left banner, and then press “Send Preview” on the top right. Type in your email to receive the test email. Please note that this is only to test how the email will look, and not the “upsell purchase”.
Method 2: Live Testing via Selective Send Feature
2. Create or use an existing email tied to an “active ReCharge” subscription. Search for the customer profile in Shopify and create a Customer Tag with the same word you created in the previous step. In this example, we’ll create a tag called “ARPU”. Make sure you’re creating a CUSTOMER TAG and not an order tag.
3. Now log-in to ReCharge → click on “Customers” → search for the same email, and edit the Next Charge Date to be within 2-3 days of the current day.
4. Go back into ARPU and turn it live by clicking the button on the top left
5. You should receive the email in about 10-15 emails. When you receive it, just pretend you’re a customer and go through the entire purchase journey! After you’ve purchased the upsell one-time extras, you can cross-reference in ReCharge by looking at the account’s subscription summary. You’ll see the products as a “one time” order.
6. That’s it! When you’re finally to enable ARPU for all your customers, make sure you turn off ReCharge’s upcoming order email. When you’re ready, turn off selective send in ARPU and it’ll start sending to your subscribers!