This guide highlights many frequently asked questions about the Recharge Checkout. This guide is applicable to merchants using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify or BigCommerce, as subscription orders go through the Recharge Checkout. Refer to the Shopify Checkout FAQ if you are using the Shopify Checkout Integration to process subscription orders.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
- Can I apply discount codes to the checkout automatically?
- Can I add custom fields to the checkout?
- Can I update the legal disclaimer on the checkout page?
- Can I hide or remove the discounts field from the checkout?
- Is it possible to redirect or skip to the checkout?
- Can I have a much more prominent and visible discounts input?
- Is it possible to change the logo or favicon at checkout?
- Can I limit the number of subscriptions per order?
- What if an existing customer goes through checkout again with a different credit card?
- Am I able to perform a test order before launching my store?
Can I apply discount codes to the checkout automatically?
This can be accomplished with custom code. Refer to the dedicated guide Applying discount codes to checkout automatically.
Can I add custom fields to the checkout?
Custom fields cannot be added to the checkout screen for security purposes. You could add it as either a cart attribute on the cart page or as a line item property on the product page. However, this would require custom code and is outside the scope of the standard Recharge solution. If you would like to pursue this further, consult with one of our trusted third-party developers from the Recharge Partners Directory.
Can I update the legal disclaimer on the checkout page?
Yes, you can update the legal disclaimer in your Legal settings. Click Settings in your merchant portal and select Legal.
This is the default text for the legal disclaimer:
By clicking "Place my order", you confirm that your subscription will automatically renew and your credit card will automatically be charged the subscription price according to the Order Summary section of this page until you cancel your subscription. You can cancel your subscription at any time.
Can I hide or remove the discounts field from the checkout?
If you remove the discounts you have created in the merchant portal, the input will be hidden from the checkout. If you do not want to remove the discounts and instead just hide the input temporarily, you can do so by adding custom CSS in your checkout settings. Click Storefront in your merchant portal and select Checkout to add custom CSS.
Is it possible to redirect or skip to the checkout?
Recharge requires the product to be added to the cart prior to going to the checkout. Recharge must set all the necessary line item properties to define a product as a subscription. Though you cannot remove the cart page from the process entirely, it is possible to redirect straight to the subscription checkout through some customization.
Can I have a much more prominent and visible discounts input?
Is it possible to change the logo or favicon at the checkout?
Yes, you can upload your logo or favicon directly so that it appears in the checkout for your customers to see. Refer to Adding a logo or favicon to the checkout.
Can I limit the number of subscriptions per order?
Currently, there is no way within Recharge to limit the number of subscription products a customer can purchase at one time. Here are a few suggested workarounds:
- You may consider using an app such as Order Limits for Shopify or MinMax Order Limits for BigCommerce, to limit the number of subscriptions per customer at checkout. At this time, Recharge does not have an integration with any order limit apps, so you would need to work with the app developer for additional support.
- Alternatively, you could work with a Recharge Partner to create custom code that will automatically remove additional products from the cart. This would involve using custom Ajax to add one item to the cart and redirect to the Recharge Checkout automatically. Note that this would be outside the scope of the standard Recharge solution.
- Within the customer portal settings, you can prevent customers from canceling after their first charge. This is an ideal workaround to ensure customers are charged the full price of a subscription product if the first charge is discounted. Refer to Customer portal controls for how to set this up.
What if an existing customer goes through checkout again with a different credit card?
Each subscriber can have a maximum of one active credit card. If one of your existing customers completes checkout a second time with the same email but a different credit card, Recharge will update the customer’s existing profile to use the most recent card for all addresses and all subscriptions.
You will receive an email notification from Recharge titled “Checkout with the same email as an existing customer,” to warn you that a customer checked out with the same email on file but a new credit card.
Am I able to perform a test order before launching my store?
You can perform a test transaction using a valid payment method at the checkout. Refer to Running a test transaction for instructions.
Create a developer account
If you are looking to create a sandbox environment to do your testing, you should create a developer account instead.
With a developer account you can perform test transactions using the following test credentials at the checkout:
- Card number: 4242 4242 4242 4242
- Name on card: Enter at least two words, i.e. Test Transaction
- Expiry date: This can be any date in the future
- CVV: This can be any three digits
Keep in mind that when you have test credentials enabled and a test transaction is performed, Recharge cannot switch the store back to a live store. Instead, your store will remain a sandbox environment where you will be able to test new features before replicating them in your live store.
You can contact the Recharge support team to enable your developer account.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us