Offering discounts can be a powerful marketing strategy. You can create codes for a dollar value discount or a percentage discount. Customers can enter discount codes online at checkout. Or you can even apply them to a customer individually. For general information or to watch a video on the topic, visit Discounts.
- How do I search for my existing discount codes?
- Can I edit discount settings after the discount is created?
- Can customers use multiple discount codes on a single order?
- How do expiry dates work for discount codes?
- Can I limit discount code application?
- Can I offer quantity discounts?
- Can I discount an individual product variant?
- How many times do product-specific discount codes apply to a checkout cart?
- Why can't my customers see the discount code entry field during checkout?
- Can I create multiple discounts at once?
- How is discount usage tracked?
- What happens if a customer enters an invalid discount code?
- Can I search for a specific discount using the discount code ID?
- Can customers add discount codes via the Customer Portal?
- Can customers apply discount codes to existing subscriptions via the Customer Portal if the discount code has a minimum purchase requirement?
Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce and Shopify
Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Can I apply discounts to collections?
- Can I set a discount with a minimum cart amount that only applies to certain products?
How do discount codes work with products that have a subscribe and save discount incentive?
Discount codes provide an additional discount on top of the incentive discount set when a customer chooses to subscribe and save.
When an incentive discount is configured, it decreases the price of the product displayed on the product page if a customer purchases the product as a subscription.
If a discount code is used at checkout, it will apply to the already discounted price that the customer received for purchasing the product as a subscription.
How do I search for my existing discount codes?
There are two ways to search for specific discount codes, either by code or by id. By prepending the search with the keyword, it's now possible to do searches like code:newyear2020 or id:1234567. Make sure to use the : sign and don't leave any spaces in between.
The discount ID can be found in your Discount Export.
Can I edit discount settings after the discount is created?
No, once the discount has been saved it cannot be edited. The code will have to be deleted and remade if you want to make any changes to it.
Can customers use multiple discount codes on a single order?
Discount codes cannot be stacked. If you have a 10% off discount, the customer cannot also use a "save $10" discount code. Only one discount at a time can be applied to a single order. We recommend creating a discount code for the value of the combined discounts if you have a customer looking to use discount codes.
How do expiry dates work for discount codes?
If you set an expiry date for a discount, then the discount will expire at 11:59:59 Eastern Time (ET)(UTC-4) on that day.
Can I limit discount code application?
Yes, you can limit discount codes on a per customer, per charge, and per channel basis in the application limits section on the Create a discount page. For more information, visit Creating discount codes.
Can I offer quantity discounts?
You can't create quantity discounts using discount codes. However, there are workarounds to providing quantity discounts to your customers. For more information, visit Offering quantity discounts.
Can I discount an individual product variant?
No. Unless you add each variant as a separate product in your eCommerce platform and then to Recharge, the discount will apply to all variants of the main product.
How many times do product-specific discount codes apply to a checkout cart?
Product-specific discount codes will not apply to all quantities of a product when a customer applies the discount code. For example, if a customer adds 10 of the same product, then the product-specific code will only discount one of the items.
Refer to the following additional examples:
- A product-specific discount of $1 off will only reduce $1 from the total, even if one or 10 of the specific product are added to the cart.
- A product-specific discount of 10% off will only reduce 10% from the total, even if one or 10 of the specific product are added to the cart.
Do discounts in my eCommerce platform work in Recharge?
If you create a discount code within your eCommerce platform, that code will only work for one-time purchases through the platform’s checkout. If your customer checks out with a subscription product, the code created in your eCommerce platform will not work. The discount code must also be created within Recharge in order to apply to subscriptions or mixed carts.
The exact steps for creating discount codes in Recharge are outlined in the guide Creating Discount codes.
Why can't my customers see the discount code entry field during checkout?
If you haven't created any discounts, the discount code field will not be visible at checkout. Create your first discount code to reveal the discount code field.
Check to see if you have any CSS that would be hiding the discount field in Settings > Checkout. It would look something like this:
Can I create multiple discounts at once?
How is discount usage tracked?
By default, discount codes are only tracked during checkout. Discount codes that are manually applied to an existing subscription are not counted into the total number of uses.
You can export out discount code usage in Settings > Exports. This report includes the total number of discounts as well as how many times they've been used.
If you want discount codes added manually to be counted as well, please reach out to Recharge Support and we can enable the feature for you. Keep in mind that this beta feature counts all discount codes when they are applied. If a discount code is applied but never used, say if a customer cancels a subscription before it renews, it will still count towards the total.
What happens if a customer enters an invalid discount code?
If a customer enters a discount code during checkout that doesn't exist, isn't currently active, or cannot be applied to that specific channel then they will see an error message.
Can I search for a specific discount using the discount code ID?
Yes, use the search string
id:<DISCOUNTID>to search for a discount code by ID. Make sure to replace <DISCOUNTID> with the ID for the specific discount code you're looking for (ie. id:50400627).
Can customers add discount codes via the Customer Portal?
As the store owner, you can add discount codes to the Customer Portal through the Recharge Dashboard. For more information, see Applying a discount to an existing subscription.
If you would like to give customers the ability to add a discount code on their own, follow these instructions:
- In the Recharge dashboard, click the wrench icon then select Customer portal.
- Scroll down to the Discounts section and check the box to allow customers to input discount code on customer portal:
Can customers apply discount codes to existing subscriptions via the Customer Portal if the discount code has a minimum purchase requirement?
Customers can only apply discount codes with a minimum purchase requirement at the checkout. These types of discounts cannot be redeemed on existing subscriptions via the Customer Portal.
Can I use automatic promotions or discounts in Recharge?
Automatic promotions or discounts do not require customers to enter a discount or coupon code, as the promotion is automatically applied when they have met the required parameters.
Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce:
We can not guarantee that BigCommerce Automatic Promotions will work with the Recharge Checkout and this is not a supported feature. We recommended that you create an automatic promotion and run a test transaction through the Recharge Checkout to see if it will work as expected.
We can confirm that automatic customer discounts and shipping discounts in BigCommerce will not work with the Recharge Checkout. You can create free shipping discounts in Recharge.
Recharge Checkout on Shopify:
The Recharge Checkout will not work with Shopify's Automatic Discounts and can cause duplicate discounts at checkout if applied. To use automatic discounts with your subscription products, you will need to implement custom code. See Applying discount code to checkout automatically for more information.
BigCommerce and Shopify with Recharge Checkout
Can I create a shipping discount?
Yes. For more information, visit Creating discount codes. Note that shipping discount codes will discount the entire shipping amount and cannot be limited to one use per customer.
Shopify with Recharge Checkout
Can I apply discounts to collections?
Yes, for merchants using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify, you can apply discounts to specific collections. When creating the discount code in the Applies to section, choose selected collection from the drop-down and then select the collection to apply the discount to.
Can I set a discount with a minimum cart amount that only applies to certain products?
Yes, as of December 7th, you can now create a discount code that applies to specific products or collections (for Shopify merchants only), and requires a minimum spend of those specific products in order to qualify. Create a discount code, with a Minimum purchase amount and Applies to, to get started.
Application and additional information
- If you want the minimum purchase discount to apply to multiple products but not all of your products, you need to create a collection in Shopify of all the products this discount should apply to.
- When creating the discount, the Applies to option Type of product isn’t available when using a minimum purchase discount. You need to apply the discount to a specific product or collection, not a product type.
- These discount codes only apply to eligible products in the customer's cart, not the full cart. For example, a customer checks out with $25 worth of product, $10 of which is eligible for the discount code. If the customer applies a 10% discount code at checkout, the 10% only applies to the eligible $10, so the customer will save $1.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us