You may want to provide free shipping to your customers, especially if they sign up for a subscription. This guide provides advice on setting up shipping in Shopify and Recharge depending on the specific free shipping scenario. For general information on shipping including a video example visit Setting up shipping for subscription products.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
Free shipping on subscription and one-time products
If you offer free shipping on your products, regardless of the type of product or where the customer is located, you can simply set your Recharge Shipping settings to Do not charge shipping.
Free shipping on subscription products
If using Shopify shipping profiles, you can create separate shipping profiles to offer free shipping for your subscription products only.
Alternatively, you can use weight-based shipping rates to offer free shipping on subscription products only.
Step 1 - Set the product weight
- Head to the Product dashboard in Shopify and select the hidden, auto-renew product.
- Scroll down to the Shipping section and set the weight to 0lbs.
- Press Save.
Step 2 - Create the free shipping rate
- From the General shipping rates section in your Shopify shipping settings, select Manage rates.
- In the Shipping to section select Create shipping zone. Select the countries that your shipping rate should apply to. Press Done one finished.
- Select Add rate.
- Choose Set up your own rates.
- Add a name to your rate and keep the price set as $0.00 to offer free shipping.
- Select Add conditions and set the condition to based on item weight.
- Enter 0 as the minimum and maximum item weight. Press Done to add the rate.
This shipping rate will only apply to orders with a total weight of 0lbs, so you'll want to create an additional rate for your one-time products.
Once you have created all necessary shipping rates, press Save.
Free shipping on the first charge only
One way to accomplish free shipping on the first charge only is to create a free shipping discount code as per our Creating discount codes.
Alternatively, if you want to offer free shipping on the first charge only after which a different shipping rate will be applied you would need to use our Workflows tool. This tool enables the change of subscription order parameters from one charge to the next and one of the parameters that can be changed is the applied shipping rate.
Offering free shipping to new customers only
You may want to offer free shipping as an incentive to new customers when they sign up, but keep the original shipping rates remaining for existing customers.
You can use our guide Offering free shipping to new customers to change the shipping rates for new customers only.
Check package weights
Shopify places a default weight on packages in their Shipping settings. This can lead to the free shipping rate not working if you use weight-based rates. For example, if you have a product that is 1lb and a shipping rate from 0-1lb that is $4.99, then the shipping rate will not work.
- In Shopify, click Settings and select Shipping.
- Scroll down to the Packages section and click Edit next to the default package.
- Set the weight to 0.
- Click Save.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us