Offering discount codes is a great way to add value to your customers' purchases, improve customer loyalty, and obtain new customers. Discount codes can be used in a variety of ways, from a single purchase to a recurring subscription. This article provides resources for creating, maintaining, and troubleshooting discounts in Recharge.
Create discount codes
Discount codes for subscriptions must be created in Recharge. If a discount code should apply to both one-time products and subscription products, you must create the code in both your ecommerce platform and in Recharge. Always create your discount code in both Recharge and your ecommerce platform to prevent any issues for your customers.
- If you are using the Shopify Checkout Integration, Recharge supports all of the discount types Shopify offers for subscriptions on checkout. At this time, some discount types are supported for recurring orders with more on the way. See Limitations for more information on what discount codes are supported.
- If you are using the BigCommerce Checkout Integration, Recharge supports all of BigCommerce's discount types on checkout, including coupons and automatic promotions. Discount codes for recurring orders are made in Recharge and can only be used in the Recharge customer portal.
Refer to Creating discount codes for instructions on creating discounts in Recharge.
Edit, deactivate, disable, or delete discount codes
You can deactivate, disable, delete, or edit discount codes in Recharge, depending on the discount settings and type.
- In your merchant portal, select Discounts.
- Click the three dots next to the discount or click the discount and select an action from the options listed. See Discount actions for a description of each action.
|Edit discount code||
Allows you to edit a discount's settings.
Note: You can update certain settings depending on the discount type, however, there are some limitations to be aware of. Refer to Editing discount codes for more information.
|Deactivate discount code||
Deactivates the discount code for any future use, but keeps the discount code active for all existing subscription orders it is applied to.
This is reversible and you can reactivate the discount at any point by clicking Reactivate.
|Fully disable discount code||
Fully disables the discount code and removes it from any active subscription orders it is applied to.
This is not reversible and will remove the code and disable it permanently. The fully disabled discount code will stay present in the database.
|Delete discount code||
This removes the code completely from Recharge's database.
This can only be performed once the code is fully disabled first.
Search for a discount code
- In your merchant portal, select Discounts.
- Use the Search Bar to search for a specific discount code.
Tracking discount usage
By default, discount codes are only tracked during checkout. Discount codes that are manually applied to an existing subscription, through the merchant or customer portals, are not counted into the total number of uses.
Recharge Discount usage can be viewed for each discount on the Discount code details page.
You can also export discount code usage using Exports in the merchant portal or on the Customer Actions dashboard. The Discounts Export includes the total number of discounts and how many times they have been used.
Bulk upload discount codes
If you have more than 100 codes to create, the Recharge support team can perform a bulk upload for you. Visit Managing discount codes in bulk for more information.
Use the API to create discount codes
There are some limitations around discount codes depending on the platform you are using. Review the below sections for your ecommerce platform integration.
There are some Shopify discount features that are not compatible with Recharge:
- Free Shipping - This is a limitation with the API. Free shipping discounts created in Shopify work with the checkout order, but do not work for recurring orders.
- Buy X, Get Y discounts - Shopify's Buy X Get Y discounts are not supported by Shopify for subscriptions.
- Quantity-based discounts - Recharge does not support quantity-based discounts, but you can still use product variants in Shopify to get the same effect. View Method 2 on Offering quantity discounts for more information.
Promotional banners created for BigCommerce at checkout are not supported as subscription orders are processed through the Recharge checkout directly. These banners can be displayed on the homepage, product page, or cart page instead.
- Discounts applied at checkout may not appear on the order details on Recharge. The total price should be the same on the BigCommerce order as the Recharge order regardless of if the code itself appears.
- For Buy X, Get Y promotions, subscription products can be used as the purchased product, but the gift must be a one-time product.
Troubleshooting and FAQ
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us