Discount code common use cases
Discounts are a great way to improve customer loyalty and obtain new customers. This guide outlines some examples of common discount code use cases.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
Before you start
- If you are unfamiliar with the discount code creation process, refer to Creating discount codes.
- If you have more than 100 discount codes to create, follow the guidelines outlined in Managing discount codes in bulk.
- It is recommended to always create your discount code in both Recharge and your ecommerce platform, to prevent any issues for your customers. See Creating coupon codes in BigCommerce or Creating discount codes in Shopify.
Discount code with a minimum purchase amount
Before creating a minimum purchase discount code you should be aware of the following:
- The minimum purchase amount requirement is valid on checkout only and only applies to one charge per customer.
- Minimum amount discount codes can not be applied to existing customers via the customer portal or through the Recharge API.
- Creating discount codes contains more information about these limitations.
This example contains a discount code for 10% off an order, but will require the minimum order value to be $20.
- You can set an application limit where you can limit the number of times this discount can be used in total. When checked, you will be prompted to enter a total amount. This will be the number of times the discount code can be used in total across your customer base.
- For example, if you enter 100, this discount code can be used by 100 customers.
- You can limit to one subscription per customer. When checked, this setting will limit the use of the discount code to one per customer. Recharge uses the email address on file to determine if the customer has previously used the discount code.
- As a fixed or percentage discount with a minimum order requirement can only be applied at the checkout, the One charge only option is automatically selected.
- You have the option to select a start date and end date. This setting is not mandatory. If not specified, the discount code will be valid after creation.
Once finished Save the discount code. The final discount page contains all the discount code details that you entered as well as the number of times that this discount code is used and the discount ID.
Free shipping discount code
A free shipping discount code is created with the purpose of making shipping free for the entire order. This discount code can only reduce the shipping price entirely (100% discounted shipping price). It cannot be applied to specific products or collections (collections are for Shopify merchants only), and it cannot be limited to one application per customer.
Limit number of times this discount can be used in total – this will set the total amount of times that this code can be used in total. Limit to one subscription per customer is automatically hidden since this type of discount code can only be applied to one subscription per customer.
Discount codes at checkout
- Recharge honors all discount codes created in Shopify for stores on the Shopify Checkout Integration on the checkout charge. For example, buy X get Y, free shipping, and amount off discount types. Create and manage discount codes within Shopify’s Discounts page in your Shopify admin.
- If you are using the BigCommerce Checkout Integration, Recharge supports all of BigCommerce's discount types on checkout, including coupon and automatic promotions. Discount codes used at checkout must be added to BigCommerce. Discount codes for recurring orders are made in Recharge and can only be used in the Recharge customer portal.
Apply discount code to checkout automatically
You may want to apply a discount code automatically at checkout rather than have your customers provide the discount code on their end. Accomplish this in Recharge using custom code on the cart page. For more information, visit Applying discount code to checkout automatically.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us