This guide covers troubleshooting tips for discounts in ReCharge. For general information and questions, visit Discounts.
- Applying the discount code returns an error
- ReCharge’s order total on a discounted order does not match Shopify
- Discount codes don’t work on the scheduled expiration date
- Unable to edit a discount code
- There’s no option to add a discount code in checkout
- $0 discounts not displaying on orders
Shopify Checkout integration
- The discount code applied to an existing order shows up as N/A in ReCharge
- I can't create a _____ discount in ReCharge
Applying the discount code returns an error
If an error appears when applying a discount code, check the existing discount settings by searching for the discount code in Settings > Discounts. Clicking the discount will open the Discount code details page.
Some common reasons why a discount code will return an error response:
- Discount code was applied after the expiration date or before the start date.
- Discount is set for one application per customer, and the customer has used the discount code previously.
- Customer is trying to apply the discount code in the customer portal but the discount code can only be used by first time customers at checkout.
- Discount code is being applied in a channel, such as checkout or customer portal, that is disabled.
- The cart total does not meet the discount's minimum purchase amount.
ReCharge’s order total on a discounted order does not match Shopify
The order total displayed by ReCharge can differ from the Paid by customer field in Shopify by exactly 1¢ for some discounted orders, though your customers have been charged the correct amount.
The difference is caused by a side effect of Shopify’s API. The order API only allows for two decimal places in the discount field, so while the discount itself was applied correctly at three decimal points, the display values are truncated in Shopify after only two decimal places. ReCharge charges your customers for the correct amount, but might round the displayed amount by 1¢.
We recommend using ReCharge's Charges - Processed export to perform your reporting and accounting as these values will be correct, and will match your payment processor’s values for reconciliation.
Discount codes are not working on the scheduled end date
Discount codes with a scheduled expiration date will stop working at the start of the expiration date. For example: If you want the discount code to be active through December 31st, set the expiration date for January 1st.
Unable to edit a discount code
After a discount code is created in ReCharge, all discount properties, such as discount amount or expiration, can not be edited. You can only deactivate, disable, or delete an existing discount code.
If you need to make a modification to a discount code we recommend deleting it and recreating it.
If you want to modify a discount code that’s currently applied to a customer’s subscription, we recommend fully deactivating the code first, then recreating it with the same name.
Note: Deleting and recreating a discount code will generate a new Discount ID, and may cause some problems for a handful of third-party integrations that use this field. If you use a third-party app that affects discount codes or are unsure about the process please reach out to the ReCharge support team first and we'll be happy to help.
Here's how we recommend deleting and recreating a discount code:
- Open up Discounts and drill down into the code you want to recreate by clicking on its name.
- Copy the discount code name:
- Click on Fully disable discount code and select 'Fully disable' on the popup.
- Click on Delete discount code and select 'Delete' on the popup.
- Back on the Discounts page, click on Create discount code.
- Paste in the Discount code name we copied into the top field and set up the properties of the code.
- When you're all finished, click Save at the bottom.
There’s no option to add a discount code at checkout
ReCharge and Shopify will only display the input field for discounts during checkout if there’s at least one discount code created in your system. Once you add in a discount code, the field will appear underneath the order on the right-hand side total during checkout.
$0 discounts not displaying on orders
ReCharge doesn’t process discount codes for $0 or 0% off. If a customer checks out with a discount code of either $0 or 0% off, the transaction will go through but the discount code will not be attached to the subscription or the order in ReCharge.
Shopify Checkout integration
The discount code applied to an existing order shows up as N/A in ReCharge
This is a display issue and won't affect your functionality. The discount was applied correctly and counted towards any limitations you may have set.
I can't create a _____ discount in ReCharge
- Free Shipping - This is a limitation with the API, free shipping discounts created in Shopify will work on the checkout order, but not on recurring orders.
- Automatic Discounts - Shopify automatic discounts only work with one-time purchases and not subscriptions.
- Buy X Get X discounts - Shopify's Buy X Get X discounts aren’t supported by Shopify for Subscription products yet.
- Quantity based discounts - ReCharge doesn't support quantity-based discounts, but you can use product varients in Shopify to get the same effect. Method 2 on Offering quantity discounts has more information.