Charging taxes outside of the US
If you are selling to customers who are located outside of the United States, you may be required to collect and remit sales taxes. This guide explains how taxes are calculated in Recharge for countries outside of the US.
Refer to setting up taxes for a general overview of how tax settings work in Recharge or charging taxes in the US to set up state-specific tax rates.
- BigCommerce Checkout Integration
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify.
Add additional tax rates for Shopify merchants
Shopify provides merchants with the option to set manual tax rates at the country or region level for all countries outside of the US or Canada. Merchants collecting sales tax in Canada can do so at the provincial level within Shopify. When you initially install Recharge, we sync any non-US tax rates you have set up in Shopify automatically.
If you modify your tax regions in Shopify, you will need to reach out to our support team with the name of the location and your new tax rate so that we can manually update your tax settings.
Add additional tax rates
You can manually configure additional tax rates per state in your tax settings.
Before you can manually add a tax rate for a state, you must add the United States as a shipping zone in your tax settings. Contact the Recharge support team if you need to manually charge tax rates but do not charge for shipping.
- Add the country as a Shipping zone.
- In the merchant portal, click Settings and select Taxes.
- Scroll down to the Destination section.
- Select the gear icon next to the country where you wish to charge taxes.
- This will take you to the Edit base tax rate page, where you can add a tax rate for the country.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us