- Watch a video
- Understanding subscription rules
- Step 1 - Add product
- Step 2 - Select subscription type
- Optional - Adding a discount
- Step 3 - Set your order schedule
- Optional - Charge customer on a specific day of the week or month
- Optional - Set subscription to expire after a set number of charges
- Step 4 - Check your work
- Manage products
ReCharge is rolling out a new feature that enables store owners to add, edit, and delete individual product subscriptions without needing to add the product to a ruleset.
Watch a video
Our video going through subscription rules is an excerpt from one of our live onboarding webinars held weekly.
Understanding subscription rules
Subscription rules are similar to Rulesets. They control everything about how a subscription functions, such as:
- The products you want to offer for subscription.
- How often the customer will be charged.
- How often the product will be shipped.
- Discounts for subscribing.
- Specific days for charges.
- Cut-off windows when subscribing.
- Automatic expiration after a set amount of time.
Rulesets need to be created separately from your Shopify products and many products are attached to a single ruleset. Subscription rules are set directly on the product-level on a one-to-one basis and allow for greater flexibility.
Step 1 - Add product
To get started offering subscriptions, you will need to create a product in Shopify. In your ReCharge Dashboard go to Rulesets at the top and click Products.
Click the teal Add product button to get started.
ReCharge will produce a popup of all active products in Shopify that aren't currently attached to a subscription. Hit the grey '+' next to the product you want to offer on subscription.
Step 2 - Select subscription type
You will need to select the subscription type you would like to apply to the product:
Choose one of the three options:
- One-time & subscription: This option is used for products where you wish for the customer to have a choice between purchasing the item only once or subscribing to it. This could be something like a specific blend of coffee or a specific scented lotion or a certain bag of dog treats. Something where you want the customer to be able to choose between just receiving the product once or entering into a subscription (perhaps with an additional discount incentive, if you choose).
- Subscription Only: This is the option you will want to use if you're doing something like a box of items each month (for example, Chocolates of the Month Box). For this rule, you would only want people to have the option to subscribe to the product without being given a choice to only purchase it once.
- Pre-paid subscription only: This option is used if you want customers to pay upfront for a set number of shipments. This is often used when offering gift subscriptions, as a customer can pay the total amount and the gift recipient will receive shipments. For example, if you offer a 6-month prepaid gift option, the customer would pay for 6 months upfront and receive $0 shipment orders in subsequent months.
Optional - Adding a discount
You can offer a discount to entice customers to subscribe instead of purchasing your products as a one-off. To do that, tick the box and then specify the percentage discount that you would like to offer.
Step 3 - Set your order schedule
The Order Schedule is where you can specify how often you charge for and ship your subscription products. You can include multiple frequencies to choose from by clicking the "Add a frequency" button.
Note: You can switch the frequencies between days, weeks, and months as needed. However, all the frequencies must be the same time period. For example, you can have 2 weeks and 4 weeks, but you cannot have 2 weeks and 1 month.
ReCharge will charge your customer and then send the shipment order to Shopify for the fulfillment process to be carried out on your store’s end.
Note: If you selected Pre-paid subscription as your subscription type, this area may look slightly different. You will not be able to enter multiple frequency options. But you will be able to set how you wish for this product to be shipped.
Optional - Charge customer on a specific day of the week or month
By clicking on the dropdown, you will be able to specify the specific day of the week that you wish your customers to be charged. For example, if you have your frequencies set to weeks, you may want to charge your customers every Monday. If you have your frequencies set to months, you could select the option to charge your customers on the 15th of every month.
Leaving it as When they sign up means they will be charged on the same day of the week or month they originally signed up.
Optional - Set subscription to expire after a set number of charges
If your product is a gift subscription, you can set it to expire after one charge. Since gift subscriptions are only purchased once, they will show up in your ReCharge Dashboard as being canceled/expired automatically.
Step 4 - Check your work
Once you have everything set up, scroll down to the bottom, and hit Save.
Once you hit Save at the bottom, ReCharge will then sync the product you have chosen to your store. Depending on the type of subscription, there may be a new subscription widget on the product page.
We suggest going through the test order process to ensure everything works on your side before going live.
If you run into any issues or have any questions, please reach out to our support team and we'll be happy to help out.
You can manage your products in ReCharge by clicking Rulesets and selecting Products from the dropdown.
Product - Lists the title of the product. Clicking the product will take you to the product summary page.
Ruleset - Lists the current ruleset. If the product has been imported into ReCharge and rules applied directly to the product, then it will list No ruleset.
Subscription type - Reflects the rules as set on the product or within the ruleset. At this time, the column will reflect One-time & subscription, Pre-paid subscription only, or Subscription only. In the future, it will include One-time Only and Inactive.
Order schedule - Shows the shipping and charge date frequency for products. Note that this column is not sortable.
Last synced - Displays the date and time that the product was last synced to the database.
Actions - Menu that allows merchants to perform a number of tasks to the product:
Sync - Pulls in product data from their ecommerce platform
Remove from ruleset - If the product exists in a ruleset, you can remove the product from the ruleset. Note that the product will still display in ReCharge in the Products section.
Remove from ReCharge - The button will delete the product from ReCharge and it will no longer displays in Products or Rulesets. It will not impact existing customers who are subscribed to the product.