Recharge's integration with Rise.ai allows subscribers to use Rise.ai Gift Cards as payment in our Recharge Checkout.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify (on checkout orders only)
Shopify Checkout Integration (on checkout orders only)
Installation and getting started
- The Rise.ai Gift Cards Solution integration is in open beta and available to all merchants using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify.
- Please make sure you have installed the Rise.ai Gift cards app on your Shopify store prior to enabling this integration in Recharge. Refer to Rise.ai's documentation on building your gift card products.
- Once you activate the Gift Card integration, UI elements for submitting gift cards will appear on page two of the checkout for customer use.
Overview of Gift Card functionality
With Rise.ai you can sell gift cards on your storefront that work with the Recharge Checkout. Rise.ai allows you to create multiple gift cards with different values that are available as products in your store.
When purchasing the gift card, the buyer is asked to enter the recipient’s email address, optional send date, as well as any note desired. The recipient will then be emailed their gift card code at the appropriate time.
The recipient can then use the gift card code at Recharge checkout as payment towards their purchase.
- If the gift card value is less than the total order amount, the checkout will display the remaining amount due to be charged to the additional credit card entered.
Note: Subscribers will always be required to input their credit card information at the checkout, even if the gift card covers the full balance. Their credit card information will be used to process recurring charges, if applicable. If the gift card is used on a prepaid subscription with an expiration of a single charge, the card will not be used.
Feedback and support
- If you run into any issues about gift card codes or have questions about the functionality, contact Rise.ai and their support team will assist.
- Rise.ai also has additional information about gift cards available.
- Currently, gift cards cannot be applied as a form of payment for recurring charges.
- Rise AI gift cards can be applied at Shopify Checkout successfully by a customer to a one time, mixed, or subscription cart. However, the gift card will not show up on the Shopify order in Shopify or in Recharge; it will look like the customer paid the full amount even though they did not.
- You must have an existing Rise.ai account connected to your store, and the Rise: Gift Cards & Loyalty app installed to process gift cards through the checkout.
- Customers can only use a single gift card as a form of payment for each checkout order.
- Each checkout can take payment from only a single gift card.
- Gift cards can be used as a form of payment for prepaid purchases.
View gift card payment details for an order
Customers can use a Rise.ai gift card as a form of payment for a subscription product through the Shopify checkout. The total gift card amount is reflected on the order summary before the customer completes their order.
As the gift card is applied through the Shopify checkout, the gift card payment is only visible on the order timeline in Shopify. You must review the order in Shopify, not Recharge, to confirm if a gift card was accepted as a payment method for an order.
- Navigate to your Shopify Admin.
- Select Customers. Use the search bar to search for the specific customer who used a gift card.
- Open the customer profile.
- Select View all orders.
- Locate the order where the Rise.ai gift card was applied at the checkout. This is typically the customer's first order. Click on the order to open the order details page.
- Navigate to the Timeline section of the order details page. You should see a line item recording the amount processed via gift card. Click on the drop-down arrow to learn more about the charge.
Contact Shopify Support for additional information and support.
Rise.ai Store Credit
Because Rise.ai handles Store Credit as a form of Gift Card, Store Credit is compatible with Recharge, with a few caveats. Once a customer receives store credit, they can enter their code in the same way they would a Gift Card on the Recharge Checkout.
Remember that refunding to store credit within the Shopify order page or the Rise.ai Dashboard will not cancel the Recharge subscription (without refunding). We recommend cancelling the subscription first so that you don't forget.
Note: Issuing a credit will not be reflected within Recharge. Please refer to Rise.ai and Shopify reporting to track store credit issuing and use.
Having taken note of the above consideration regarding cancelling and returns, you can refer to the Rise.ai documentation for Store Credit:
- Issue Store Credit for Refunds & Returns
- What's the difference between gift cards and store credit?
- Issuing Store Credit - When and How?
Where can I track gift card usage?
You can track gift card status, view reporting, and run analytics all through Rise.ai.
Can subscribers choose to only use part of a gift card?
No. Subscribers cannot elect to use a specified gift card amount less than the available balance. If the available balance is greater than the total order amount, the gift card will retain the difference for future purchases.
What if a credit card charge fails in a transaction with both a gift card and a credit card?
If a subscriber uses a gift card with an available amount less than the total amount due, and the credit card charge fails, the total gift card value used will be immediately refunded back to the gift card and the order canceled.
When is the gift card amount deducted during checkout?
Gift card values will be decremented when the subscriber completes the purchase, not when they initially enter the gift card code.
If the available amount on the gift card changes between initial code entry and final purchase, for example, the subscriber used the gift card on another cart, the checkout will respond with an error.
Am I charged for transactions that use gift cards as payment?
Yes, when a customer uses a gift card as payment in the Recharge Checkout, the transaction’s original amount is processed as revenue and included in your processing fees. Recharge must process the charge, even if the gift card covers the full balance, for the integration with Rise.ai to function properly.