Shopify recently announced their plans to release Subscription APIs that will power subscription transactions. In this article, we discuss the new integration and common questions about what it means for ReCharge going forward.
- What is the new Shopify Checkout integration?
- Do I need to make any changes to my existing store?
- Who is eligible to sign-up for the new integration?
- Are there notable changes to subscription and order functionality with the new Shopify Checkout integration?
- What is the pricing plan for the Shopify Checkout integration?
- Where can I learn more about the Shopify Checkout integration?
- I am an existing ReCharge merchant - can I migrate to the new checkout?
What is the new Shopify Checkout integration?
Shopify is working on new Subscription APIs that will allow apps and developers like ReCharge to connect to Shopify to create and process subscriptions directly through the Shopify checkout.
Traditionally there have been two separate checkouts, ReCharge and Shopify. Customers would go through different checkouts depending on the contents of their cart.
Now, merchants will be able to use ReCharge for customer and subscription management while order processing will take place through Shopify and their native checkout. One unified checkout for subscription and one-time products.
Do I need to make any changes to my existing store?
No. As an existing merchant, your current ReCharge configuration is still supported and no action is required by you.
ReCharge remains committed to building out functionality to the existing ReCharge checkout and to ensure continuity and a robust feature set. We intend to keep investing, adding, and improving functionality to our existing app.
Who is eligible to sign-up for the new integration?
Any new Shopify stores interested in installing ReCharge on or after November 2nd 2020 can sign-up to be part of the early rollout through the ReCharge App listing.
Note that there are some eligibility requirements and notable limitations.
- Shopify Payments - Merchants will need to be using or qualified to use Shopify Payments. Note that Shopify Payments does not support some business types, such as CBD or pseudopharmaceuticals. For more information, visit Shopify's Legal page.
- Accelerated payment options and wallets - Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay, and other forms of accelerated payments or wallets will be unavailable.
- In-person delivery zones - Pick up in store and local delivery are not available at launch.
- Shopify Plus - Shopify has set additional limitations involving Shopify Scripts and custom checkouts, take a look at their public Eligibility requirements for more information.
- Multi-currency - Shopify's multi-currency feature will not be available at launch.
- Prepaids - At this time, prepaids are not supported by ReCharge's Shopify Checkout integration.
Are there notable changes to subscription and order functionality with the new Shopify Checkout integration?
With the Shopify Checkout, merchants have the benefit of a unified checkout experience for their customers. However, there are some notable changes that merchants should be aware of with how Shopify will handle subscriptions and subscription orders from ReCharge:
- Overrides - SKU or product titles cannot be customized in ReCharge to be a different values then what is listed in Shopify.
- Cart and note attributes - Cart and note attributes will be displayed on orders originating from checkout, but will not appear on recurring orders.
- No line item properties - Cart and note attributes will be displayed on orders originating from checkout, but will not appear on recurring orders.
What is the pricing plan for the Shopify Checkout integration?
For Shopify merchants using the Shopify Checkout integration, ReCharge is free to use for the first 60-days and following your free trial, $60.00 USD/month plus 1% + 5¢ per transaction.
How can I sign up for the new Shopify Checkout integration?
At this time, self-install is not possible. If you are interested and would like to learn more, you can join our waitlist and a member of the ReCharge team will schedule a call to discuss.