With the Shopify Checkout Integration, Shopify merchants are able to use Recharge for customer and subscription management while providing a unified checkout experience for their customers through the Shopify checkout. This FAQ aims to answer the common questions merchants have regarding Recharge's Shopify Checkout Integration.
- What is the Shopify Checkout Integration?
- Do I need to make any changes to my existing store?
- Who is eligible to sign-up for the Shopify Checkout Integration?
- Are there any differences in subscription and order functionality with the Shopify Checkout Integration?
- Does the Shopify Checkout Interview support digital products?
- What is the pricing plan for the Shopify Checkout Integration?
- How am I billed for using the Recharge app on the Shopify Checkout Integration?
- Where can I learn more about the Shopify Checkout Integration?
- I am an existing Recharge merchant - can I convert my store to the Shopify Checkout Integration?
- I am seeing a "Sorry, Shopify says your store is ineligible for subscriptions" screen when trying to install. What should I do?
- I'm trying to install the Shopify Checkout Integration on my store, but I keep getting a message that I'm almost there. What are my next steps?
- Is it possible to migrate existing subscribers from another subscription platform to the Shopify Checkout Integration?
- I am a Shopify Plus merchant and recently upgraded my checkout.liquid file - does this mean I can start selling subscriptions?
- How can I remove the subscription widget from non-subscription products?
Payment processors for the Shopify Checkout Integration
- Which payment gateways work with the Shopify Checkout Integration?
- How do I switch my customer from Shopify Payments to PayPal Express?
- Can I use PayPal Express as my payment gateway for subscriptions, but use a different provider for my primary gateway?
- Do my customers have to use a credit card with their PayPal account?
- How do customers update their PayPal payment method?
What is the Shopify Checkout Integration?
Shopify's Subscription APIs allow apps like Recharge to connect to Shopify to create and process subscriptions directly through the Shopify Checkout.
Traditionally, there have been two separate checkouts – Recharge and Shopify. Customers would go through different checkouts depending on the contents of their cart (i.e. they would go through Recharge with recurring subscription products or they would go through Shopify with one-time products).
Now, merchants can use Recharge for customer and subscription management while order processing takes place through Shopify and their native checkout. One unified checkout for both subscription and one-time products.
Do I need to make any changes to my existing store?
No. As an existing merchant using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify merchant, your current Recharge configuration is still supported and no action is required by you at this time.
We are committed to continue building and improving Recharge’s functionality to ensure we’re building the features our merchants require to support their unique business needs on the Shopify Checkout Integration. For more information about feature timeline and compatibility, visit Shopify Checkout Integration feature status.
Who is eligible to sign-up for the Shopify Checkout Integration?
Any new Shopify stores interested in installing Recharge on or after November 2nd, 2020 can install the integration through the Recharge App listing in Shopify.
Note that there are some eligibility requirements and notable limitations from Shopify:
- Approved payment gateway - You must use an approved payment gateway such as Shopify Payments, Authorize.net, or PayPal Express. Note that Shopify Payments does not support some business types, such as CBD or pseudo-pharmaceuticals. For more information, visit Shopify's Legal page.
- In-person delivery zones - Pick-up in-store and local delivery are not currently available.
- Multi-currency - Shopify's multi-currency feature is not currently available.
- Accelerated payment options and wallets - Apple Pay, Google Pay, and other forms of accelerated payments or wallets are currently unavailable for subscription purchases.
Are there any differences in subscription and order functionality with the Shopify Checkout Integration?
With the Shopify Checkout Integration, merchants have the benefit of a unified checkout experience for their customers. However, there are some notable changes from the Recharge Checkout on Shopify, that merchants should be aware of for how Shopify handles subscriptions and subscription orders from Recharge:
- Overrides - SKU or product titles cannot be customized in Recharge to be a different value than what is listed in Shopify.
- Cart and note attributes - Cart and note attributes will be displayed on orders originating from checkout, but do not appear on recurring orders.
Does the Shopify Checkout Integration support digital products?
Yes, you can sell digital products through the Shopify Checkout. During checkout, if there is a non-physical subscription product, the shipping address fields do not display.
What is the pricing plan for the Shopify Checkout Integration?
You can view a breakdown of Recharge's pricing plan on our dedicated pricing page.
How am I billed for using the Recharge app on the Shopify Checkout Integration?
When you install and set up Recharge, you're automatically on the Recharge Standard plan. With this plan, transaction fees include 1% + 10 cents per transaction and there is no monthly fixed fee. Transaction fees account for subscription orders and mixed-carts that include both one-time products and subscriptions. Recharge issues a monthly bill, which is added to your Shopify bill rather than Recharge charging your credit card directly. Refer to our pricing page to learn more about the Standard plan or how you can upgrade to the Recharge Pro plan.
View your invoices in Shopify
You can view a record of your Recharge charges in your Shopify Admin billing settings. Click Finances and select Billing.
View your invoices in Recharge
A detailed breakdown of your Recharge bill is available in your Recharge account settings.
- In your Recharge Dashboard, click the wrench icon and select Store (My account).
- Click See all billing cycles...
- This section lists all of your billing cycles, including the scheduled charge date, the date you were charged, the customer name and/or email associated with your billing account, the status, and the total. Click the arrow icon to open the full billing details in a separate tab.
How can my customers update their billing information?
Customers can update their billing information via their customer portal by clicking the Send email to update button within the billing section. Shopify sends the customer an email to update their credit card and billing information and the customer's next processed charge uses the new billing information.
Merchants can also trigger the email from their Recharge admin:
- Click Customers and search and select the customer.
- Select Billing information and click Send update email. Shopify sends the customer an email to update their credit card and billing information and the customer's next processed charge will use the new billing information.
How can I sign up for the Shopify Checkout Integration?
If you are interested in using the Shopify Checkout Integration, you can install the app directly from the Shopify App store.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us