Creating subscription rules for your products is the first step to offering subscription purchase options for your customers. You can set rules to allow products to be purchased as a one-time order or subscribe and save, or as a subscription-only purchase. This guide will walk you through creating your first subscription ruleset and detail the general functionality of recurring subscription products with ReCharge and the Shopify Checkout integration.
Before you begin
- If you are Shopify merchant using the ReCharge Checkout, visit Creating subscription rules in ReCharge.
- You will need to have at least one product available in your Shopify store.
Step 1 - Select product
To add a subscription option to your existing Shopify products, you will need to create a subscription rule in ReCharge. These rules will control the frequency and functionality of your subscription plan.
Note: You will need to create at least one product in Shopify before you can create a subscription.
- In the ReCharge Dashboard, click Products in the top toolbar.
- Click Add product.
- In the Add a product pop-up, search and select the product you would like to offer on subscription.
Step 2 - Discount settings
Subscribe and save
Subscribe and Save subscriptions give your customers the option to purchase your products as a one-time order or subscribe with a discount incentive.
- Under Set up a discount, Check Yes, I'd like to offer a discount.
- Add a percentage amount in the % off box.
If your product should only be purchased as a subscription, leave the Set up a discount checkbox unchecked and move to Step 3. Once your product is created in ReCharge, you will need to check the subscription-only setting within Shopify.
Step 3 - Set order schedule
Set the order frequency available to your customers. You can select days, weeks, or months. Offer a single frequency or multiple frequencies.
- Under Set order schedule, select Add frequency.
- From the frequency dropdown, select your frequency unit of days, weeks, or months.
- In the text box, add the number amount. For example, if you charge and ship once a month, enter 1.
- Optionally, repeat step 2-3 to add additional frequencies.
- Click Save.
Test your subscription setup
Before you start marketing your new subscription products, we strongly suggest going through your storefront and testing the new subscription product to ensure everything works as expected.
If you run into any issues or have any questions, please reach out to our support team and we'll be happy to help.
Troubleshooting and FAQ
I set my product to be subscription-only in ReCharge, but it is still being offered as a Subscribe & Save on my storefront
This can happen if the product in Shopify is not set to Only allow purchase of this product as a subscription in Shopify.
I am trying to set a 1-day interval but it is not working
It is not possible to create 1-day intervals in the ReCharge system. This is done as a precaution to avoid customers being charged daily accidentally.
I want to offer months and weeks as charge intervals - is this possible?
You cannot set multiple frequency unit types on your subscription rules. However, you can select one frequency type and approximate the length of another. For example, if you want to offer 1-week intervals and 1-month intervals, you can add a frequency for 1 week and 4 weeks. However, note that when a monthly interval is set in weeks, it will not observe the calendar start or end date of the month.