This FAQ covers common questions pertaining to Customer accounts with the Shopify Checkout Integration.
- How does Recharge determine if a customer has an account with Shopify?
- Why can't my customer see their Manage Subscriptions link?
- What is the easiest way I can edit a customer's subscription?
- Can I force customers to create an account before they can checkout?
- If I access the customer's account in the Shopify Admin and modify the shipping address, will this update the address on upcoming subscriptions?
- How can I add a new shipping address to a customer's account?
How does Recharge determine if a customer has an account with Shopify?
Recharge uses a webhook to check the customer's email address at the time of checkout against your Shopify checkout records. If a customer profile exists in Shopify with that email but does not have an existing customer account, they will receive an account invite email.
If an existing customer goes through the checkout and uses a different email address, they will also be invited to register an account in Shopify that will be listed under the new email address.
Why can't my customer see their Manage Subscriptions link?
If a customer were to register with a different email and try to go to their manage subscriptions link on the store's page, they will receive an error notice saying they currently don't have any subscriptions.
Confirm with the customer which email address they are using and verify the email address on file in Recharge. If the customer is still experiencing issues, reach out to the Recharge support team.
What is the easiest way I can edit a customer's subscription?
There are two ways to quickly access a customer's information.
Open the customer's profile in Shopify. Under More actions, click Manage subscriptions.
- Open the customer's order in Shopify. Click View subscription.
Refer to Shopify's guide on Managing customers for more information.
Can I force customers to create an account before they can checkout?
Yes, you can ensure customers must create an account prior to checking out in your Shopify settings.
- Click Settings in your Shopify Admin and select Checkout.
- In the Customer accounts section, click the radio button for Accounts are required. With this setting enabled, the customer must create an account before continuing to the checkout.
If I access the customer's account in the Shopify Admin and modify the shipping address, will this update the address on upcoming subscriptions?
No, managing addresses within your Shopify Admin will not update your customer's subscription shipping address.
Instead, the customer should open their customer portal and update the address associated with their subscription, or you can update this within the merchant portal in the merchant portal. See How can I add a new shipping address to a customer's account? for more information.
How can I add a new shipping address to a customer's account?
If a customer wants to change the address where they currently receive products, they can update this in their customer portal. Merchants can update the customer's shipping address within the merchant portal in the merchant portal.
Customers cannot manually add a new shipping address to their customer portal. If a customer wants to continue shipping their existing subscriptions to their current address but needs to ship a new or existing subscription to a different shipping address, they will need to go through the checkout again, as per Shopify. Customers should use the same email address if they want the subscriptions to live under the same customer account.
Customers can update their shipping address via their customer portal.
- Access the Shipping tab.
- Click on the shipping address you want to edit, add the updated information, and click Update shipping address.
Merchants can also update a customer's shipping address in their merchant portal:
- Click Customers and search and select the customer.
- On the Subscription orders page, click See details next to the Address ID.
- Click Edit under the Shipping Address, add the updated information, and click Save.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us