SEPA Direct Debit and iDeal allow you to accept recurring payments from customers through direct debit.
To enable your SEPA Direct Debit and iDeal credentials, you must generate and enable a webhook with Stripe. The process of generating a webhook differs depending on how your Stripe account was set up.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
Before you start
- You must meet all of the eligibility requirements to enable SEPA Direct Debit and iDeal as payment methods on your store.
- Since iDeal relies on SEPA Direct Debit for recurring payments, both payment methods are added to your store at the same time. Once the feature is fully enabled, you have full control over which methods are available to customers during checkout.
- For merchants using the Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce, there is a delay between the charge settlement and order creation. At the checkout, ReCharge creates a “pending” charge that can be settled in minutes for iDeal payments but may take days for other SEPA payments to settle. Once the payment is settled and Stripe confirms it is successful, there can be up to a one-hour delay with the adapter capturing the new order and sending it to BigCommerce.
SEPA Direct Debit is known as a delayed notification payment method, which means it can take some time to determine if the payment was successful. In most cases, this is between 24 to 48 hours, but it can take up to 14 days.
Delayed notification payment methods do not provide an instant response regarding the payment transaction at check out, which means an alternative method needs to be created to notify Recharge of the outcome of the transaction.
To notify Recharge of the charge status for payments processed through SEPA Direct Debit, you must create a webhook on Stripe's side. Once the webhook is created, Recharge will receive payment transaction updates when they happen.
Determining the Stripe setup method used
The method used to enable SEPA Direct Debit and iDeal will change depending on if you used OAuth or your Stripe API Keys to setup Stripe within Recharge.
- To confirm which Stripe method was used, access your Recharge Admin, and select the wrench icon.
- Select Payment (General) to access your Payment settings.
- Refer to the Payment processor section to determine how Stripe was set up for your store.
A message is displayed in the Payment processor section if your account is connected with Stripe via OAuth. Webhooks need to manually be created on Stripe if the account was connected via OAuth.
If the Stripe account was connected via API Keys, the Payment processor section displays a grey Connect with Stripe button. Webhooks can automatically be generated for accounts connected via Stripe's API keys.
Generating the webhook if Stripe was configured via OAuth
You will need to manually create the webhook on Stripe if OAuth was used to connect your Stripe account.
Recharge has provided additional information in the SEPA section of the Payment settings page to assist with creating the webhook on Stripe. You will need to refer to this information as you generate the webhook.
- Endpoint URL: This is the webhook URL that Stripe uses to send Recharge updates about the payment. the Endpoint URL is store-specific, and can only be used for the store it is assigned to.
- Events to send: A list of events that Stripe should send to Recharge. All of these events must be configured for SEPA Direct Debit and iDeal to work.
Step 1 - Create the webhook
Log into your Stripe Dashboard and select Developers > Webhooks.
Select the +Add endpoint button from the Endpoints receiving events from your account section. This will open an Add a webhook endpoint dialog.
- Paste the Endpoint URL provided by Recharge in the Endpoint URL field.
- Enter a Description to explain why you are creating the endpoint for future reference.
- Select the events provided by Recharge from the drop-down menu under Events to send.
- Select Add endpoint to create the endpoint.
Step 2 - Capture the shared secret
A new screen will load once the webhook is created that shows the events selected when the endpoint was created.
The Signing secret is a secret string of numbers used to validate that an event was sent from Stripe, and must be provided to Recharge.
- In a new tab, log in to your Recharge admin.
- Select Click to reveal under the Signing secret section to access the secret.
- Copy and paste the secret from Stripe into the Signing secret input field in your Payment settings in Recharge (click the wrench icon then select Payment).
Keep the Recharge admin open in a separate tab to finish completing the setup of your webhook.
Step 3 - Identify and capture the webhook ID
Navigate back to the webhook setting page in Stripe (the same page that contained the Signing secret) to access the webhook ID. The webhook ID is located after /webhooks/ in the URL of the webhook page, and begins with "we_".
- Navigate back to your Recharge admin tab.
- Copy the webhook ID and paste it into the Webhook ID field in your SEPA Payment settings in Recharge.
Step 4 - Generate the webhook
Once you've obtained the Signing secret and the Webhook ID from Stripe, you can complete the setup of your webhook.
- Confirm that both the Signing secret and Webhook ID are included under the SEPA section on your Recharge Payment settings page (click the wrench icon, then select Payment).
- Select Generate webhook & enable to configure the Stripe webhook.
If the webhook is successful, the status of the SEPA integration will change to Enabled.
Generating the webhook if Stripe was configured via API keys
The webhook can automatically be created on Stripe if the Stripe account was connected via API Keys.
Select Generate webhook & enable from the SEPA section of the Payment settings page.
This will automatically generate the webhook on Stripe and connect it to your Recharge account.
The webhook status will change to Enabled once the webhook is successfully generated, along with additional information about the webhook.
Enable SEPA Direct Debit and iDeal at the Checkout
Once the Stripe webhook has been created and generated, you can enable the payment methods at the checkout. It is possible to just enable one payment method, or use both at the same time.
- Log in to your Recharge admin.
- Click the wrench icon and select Checkout.
- Confirm if you would like to enable SEPA Direct Debit/iDeal.
- Press Save to confirm your selection.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us