The Shopify Discount Import feature allows merchants to import both new and updated Shopify discount codes to Recharge. This guide outlines how to use this feature and its limitations.
Before you start
- Discount codes created in Recharge cannot be imported into Shopify. The Shopify Discount Import feature is a one-way import from Shopify to Recharge, and only supported discount codes created in Shopify can be imported to Recharge. For more details, see Unsupported Shopify discount features.
- You must manually initiate the discount import within Recharge because Shopify does not have webhook events for discounts. Therefore, Recharge can not automatically import discounts.
- Updates made to existing discount codes only apply to new applications of the code, and not to existing addresses or charges where the code has already been applied. If you want to update discounts on existing subscriptions, refer to Managing discount codes in bulk.
- When discounts are imported from Shopify to Recharge, the usage count is not imported (the number of customers that have used the discount); however, the usage limit is imported (the number of customers that can use the discount).
- For merchants using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify, imported discount codes automatically apply to one charge only. You can reach out to the Recharge support team to perform a bulk update and edit the application limits.
- The maximum amount of discount codes that can be imported at a time is 500,000. The Recharge support team can assist you with a bulk update if you have more than 500,000 discount codes to import. See Managing discount codes in bulk to learn more.
- The 500,000 limit only applies to supported discount codes. For more details, see Unsupported Shopify discount features.
- Shopify's combined discount feature is not compatible with Shopify Discount Imports. You can import combined discounts from Shopify, but the stacked discount amounts will not reflect properly in Recharge and may cause unforeseen errors.
Unsupported Shopify discount features
The following Shopify discount features are not supported and can not be used with the Shopify Discount Import feature:
- Shopify Automatic discounts and Buy X get Y discounts are not supported and will not appear in the confirmation CSV export.
- Discount codes can't apply to multiple products or collections. Recharge only supports applying discount codes to a specific Shopify product or collection.
- Discount codes can't be limited to specific groups of customers or specific customers, aside from new customers.
- Requiring a minimum quantity in the cart before a discount is applied is not supported.
- Excluding shipping rates over a certain amount for “free shipping” discounts is not supported.
- Free shipping discounts restricted to certain countries are not supported.
- Free shipping discounts restricted to one-time purchases or subscription purchases are not supported. These discounts must apply to both one-time and subscription purchases. Merchants using the Shopify Checkout Integration must select Both under Purchase type when creating a discount in Shopify.
- Discounts with a minimum purchase amount that applies to more than one charge per customer are not supported. The Shopify Discount Import feature may allow you to import these discounts, but the discounts cannot be applied to a customer's subscription.
Use the Shopify Discount Import feature
- Ensure you have supported discount codes created in Shopify that you want to import to Recharge. If you are creating a new discount code in Shopify, we recommend waiting a minimum of five minutes before trying to import.
- From the Recharge merchant portal, click Discounts.
- Click Import Shopify discounts.
- For the discount import feature to work, Recharge must have permission to read Shopify discount codes. This may require you to update your store's permissions. You will see the Permissions update required message the first time you try to import your discounts. Click Update your app’s permissions.
- Approve the permissions and click Update app.
- Once the app is updated, return to Recharge and click Next.
- Enter the email address where you would like to receive the completed report, and click Import.
Access your CSV report
- Once the import is complete, an email is sent with a link to download the CSV report. This link is valid for one hour. If you try to access it once it expires, you’ll be notified, and a new link is automatically sent to the same email address. The report is accessible for 30 days.
- The report lists all of the discount codes and their import statuses. For more details, see Understand the import statuses in your report. Automatic discounts will not show in the CSV report.
- If you have not received the report email after a few hours and you have checked your spam folder, reach out to the Recharge support team for assistance.
Understand the import statuses in your CSV report
The discount was successfully created and can be found in your list of discounts in Recharge.
Click Discounts from the merchant portal to view these discounts in Recharge.
The discount could not be created in Recharge because it is unsupported. A failure reason will be listed.
For more details, see Unsupported Shopify discount features.
The discount has been updated in Recharge, and any change to the usage limit or the active dates is now reflected in Recharge.
This status is shown when you are editing existing Shopify discount codes and importing them to Recharge. Refer to edit existing Shopify discount codes under Additional information.
|Failed||An error has occurred with the Recharge API. Retry the import, and if the discounts fail again, reach out to the Recharge support team for assistance.|
- When editing existing Shopify discount codes and importing them into Recharge, only the attributes for Active dates (start date, end date), and Usage limits will be imported.
- Imported discounts are available through all channels. This includes the checkout page, customer portal, merchant portal, and API.
- If you disable a discount in Recharge, update the same discount in Shopify, and then trigger the discount import, the discount’s status will not update in Recharge. This ensures that the import does not reactivate a discount that was intentionally disabled in Recharge.
- For merchants using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify, discount usage is tracked in Recharge when a discount is applied through the Recharge Checkout. We are actively working on a solution to update the usage when a discount is applied through the customer portal or via the API.
If a discount's usage limit is reached, will it show expired in both Recharge and Shopify?
No. The Shopify Discount Import feature is a one-way import from Shopify to Recharge, and the discount's usage limit or status cannot be synced back to Shopify.
Recharge Checkout on Shopify
The discount status and usage count are displayed in Recharge for stores using the Recharge Checkout on Shopify. However, the usage count cannot be synced from Shopify to Recharge (or vice versa).
For example, if a discount created in Shopify has a limit of five uses and can be used for both one-time and subscription purchases, once imported to Recharge, the discount could potentially be used 10 times across the two checkouts – the Shopify Checkout for one-time purchases, and the Recharge Checkout for subscription purchases.
Can I choose specific discounts to import?
At this time, you can not exclude or choose specific discounts to import. All new or updated discount codes are automatically part of the import.
Will expired discount codes be imported?
Expired discount codes are not fetched the first time an import is performed. This ensures that we do not fetch a large set of historical codes that aren’t used anymore.
If an imported discount code is deleted in Shopify, will it automatically be deleted in Recharge?
If you delete a discount code in Shopify and want it removed from Recharge, you must manually delete the discount code in Recharge.
How many discounts can be imported at a time?
The maximum amount of discount codes that can be imported at a time is 500,000. If you have more than 500,000, reach out to the Recharge support team to perform a bulk update. The 500,000 limit only applies to supported discount codes.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us