RechargeSMS is a powerful tool that allows your customers to interact with their subscription directly through SMS messages. Customers now have the power to manage their subscriptions directly from their handheld devices, streamlining their experience and your support processes.
This guide explains how to import and manage customers in RechargeSMS, as well as handling order notifications and settings.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration with Shopify Plus
Manage customer information
Select the Customers icon from the left-side navigation to access the Customers menu. Select the Eye icon to access information about the customer, such as their address, and subscription information.
Edit customer information
You can edit basic customer information such as the customer’s name, phone number, and email address in RechargeSMS. This does not update the customer information in Recharge.
Select Edit Profile when viewing the customer’s information to make changes to the customer’s account. Alternatively, you can select the Customers icon from the left navigation bar, and then select the Edit icon to open the editor for a specific customer.
Import customers to RechargeSMS
RechargeSMS syncs and imports customers every hour with Recharge. You can import up to ten customers manually if you wish to add customers immediately:
- Select the Customers tab in the RechargeSMS Dashboard.
- Select Import Customers.
- Enter the customer's email address. Separate each entry with a comma if you are importing multiple customers.
The Recharge Support team can assist you with importing a list of existing customers who have already opted-in to an existing SMS solution. Contact the Recharge Support team and include a CSV file with the following information to import customers into RechargeSMS:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Phone Number
- SMS Consent Timestamp (Example: MM/DD/YY 13:00)
Enable customer and order modifications
You can customize what settings customers can change in their account, or what order modifications they can make via SMS.
Navigate to Settings in your RechargeSMS Dashboard to access the following settings:
- Modify Order: Allow customers to make modifications to their upcoming orders via SMS. This includes allowing customers to add a one-time product to their order or swapping to a new product.
- Account Related Features: Allow customers the ability to update their accounts and make changes via SMS. This includes updating billing or order quantity information.
- Concierge Features: Allow customers additional permissions such as ending their subscription, or receiving charge failure notifications.
Enable winback campaigns
Winback campaigns are helpful in preventing churn and keeping the LTV in your store high. You can enable winback campaigns through the Concierge Features section of your RechargeSMS Dashboard.
Once enabled, you can edit the specific cancellation reasons can choose from.
- Select the Customers icon from the left navigation bar.
- Select Cancellation Reasons from the top menu bar.
- A standard list of cancellation reasons is available when you install RechargeSMS. Select Edit to update the name of the cancellation reason and the winback option selected.
You can also add additional cancellation reasons by selecting the Add new Cancellation Reason button.
Update notification content
A standard SMS message is configured for each SMS option available through RechargeSMS. Update any notification messaging through the message icon in the left-hand navigation.
Once on the Messages Templates page, select the template that you wish to edit.
Each notification has a specific set of variables associated with it. These variables are stand-ins for items specific to the customer. For example. The
customer_email variable displays the customer’s actual email address in an SMS message.
You can configure responses based on custom keywords to further automate the communication between your store and the customer. For example, you may want to respond with a standard "you’re welcome" text message every time a customer responds thank you.
- Select the Messages icon from the left-hand navigation bar.
- Select Custom Keywords from the top navigation bar.
- Select Add new Keywords to configure a keyword.
- Add the relevant keywords in the Keywords field.
- Add the standard response in the Response field.
- Save your changes.
Enroll migrated customers to RechargeSMS
When you migrate to Recharge your existing subscribers are not enrolled into RechargeSMS by default. You can enroll existing customers into RechargeSMS through customer segments.
- Navigate to Customers > Segments in your Recharge Dashboard.
- Enable SMS for all current subscribers.
This enables RechargeSMS for all of your current subscribers. Once enabled, customers receive a charge reminder message to opt-in to RechargeSMS from your phone number.
Navigate to Messages > Charge Reminder Opt-in to update the contents of this message.
If your charge reminders are disabled, we still send the following SMS messages, giving customers other opportunities to enable RechargeSMS:
- Shipping notifications
- Dunning notifications
- Cancelation confirmation notifications
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us