RechargeSMS is a powerful tool that allows your customers to interact with their subscription directly through SMS messages. Customers now have the power to manage their subscriptions directly from their handheld devices, streamlining their experience and your support processes.
This guide explains how to import and manage customers in RechargeSMS.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
- A standard SMS message is configured for each SMS option available through RechargeSMS. See Managing SMS messages in RechargeSMS for more information.
- Products must exist in RechargeSMS so that customers can interact with them via SMS. Refer to Managing products in RechargeSMS for setup instructions.
Manage customer information
Click Customers from the navigation menu to access your complete Customer list. Select the customer's name you are looking for.
Recharge tracks customers who opted out of receiving SMS text messages. Customers can text
START to your store's number to opt back in and start receiving SMS messages.
Edit customer information
You can edit basic customer information such as their name phone number, and email address in RechargeSMS. This does not update the customer information in Recharge.
Select Customers in the left navigation bar, and then select the Edit icon to open the editor for a specific customer.
You can also select Edit customer when viewing the customer’s information to make any changes.
Import customers to RechargeSMS
RechargeSMS syncs and imports customers every hour with Recharge. You can import up to 10 customers manually if you wish to add customers immediately:
- In the RechargeSMS dashboard, click Customers and click on the plus sign to Import Customers.
- Enter the customer's email address. Separate each entry with a comma for multiple customer imports.
Note: The purpose of importing customers is to test RechargeSMS with a specific group of customers. If you have already launched RechargeSMS, importing customers manually is not required.
The Recharge Support team can assist with importing a list of existing customers who have already opted-in to an existing SMS solution. Contact the Recharge Support team and include a CSV file with the following information to import customers into RechargeSMS:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Phone Number
- SMS Consent Timestamp (Example: MM/DD/YY 13:00)
Enable customer and order modifications
You can customize what settings customers can change in their account, or what order modifications they can make via SMS.
Navigate to Settings in your RechargeSMS Dashboard to access the following settings:
- Modify Order: Allow customers to make modifications to their upcoming orders via SMS. This includes allowing customers to add a one-time product to their order or swapping to a new product.
- Account Related Features: Allow customers the ability to update their accounts and make changes via SMS. This includes updating billing or order quantity information.
- Concierge Features: Allow customers additional permissions such as ending their subscription, or receiving charge failure notifications.
Customers are assigned a specific status assigned depending on the state of their account. Statuses are visible in the Customers tab, or on the customer's profile.
There are four different customer statuses available in RechargeSMS:
- Opt-in: Indicates the customer has opted-in to receive transactional SMS messages
- Opted-out: Indicates that the customer opt-ed out of receiving transactional SMS messages. RechargeSMS keeps track of all customers who have opted out of SMS to prevent them from receiving any messages. Customers can text START to your number to opt-in at any time.
- Pending opt-in: Indicates the customer will receive the Charge Reminder Opt-in message for their next Upcoming Order. The customer's status is updated to Opt-in once they receive the Charge Reminder Opt-in.
- Unreachable: Indicates that the text message cannot be delivered to the customer. This usually happens if:
- The phone number provided was a landline.
- The phone number provided is unable to receive texts.
- The phone number is a Canadian number and doesn’t have the +1 country code.
Use the drop-down menu located in the Customers tab to view customers assigned to a specific status.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us