Editing discount codes
You can edit a discount if you want to change its settings. This feature is useful when you need to update a discount after you've shared the code with customers. You can update certain settings depending on the discount type, but there are some limitations to be aware of when editing discounts. This article explains how to edit discounts and which discount settings are accessible based on the discount type.
Edit a discount
1. Select Discounts in the merchant portal.
2. Click the three dots next to the discount you want to edit and select Edit.
You can also edit discounts by selecting Edit discount code on the Discount code details page.
The discount settings you can edit are conditionally based on the type of discount and the channel where the discount can be used.
- If a discount applies to one charge only and is set to only be used on the checkout page, you can edit all discount settings.
- If a discount applies to a set amount of charges, all charges and/or applies to any channel besides the checkout page then you can only edit the following discount sections:
- Application limits
- Date Range
Once you've determined which settings you can edit, you should then determine which, if any, limitations apply before editing the discount. See Limitations for details.
There are certain limitations that apply to some of the discount settings you can edit. Refer to the table below to familiarize yourself with any limitations before updating the discount code.
|Application Limits||Limit the number of times a discount can be applied in total||You must set this value to a number greater than or equal to the number of times the discount has been redeemed.|
|Date Range||Start date||
If the Start date value is the day you are editing the discount or a day in the future, you can adjust this setting.
If the Start date is a date prior to the date you are editing the discount, you cannot change this setting.
|Date Range||Set an expiration date for new customers||This value can only be updated to the day you are editing the discount or a date in the future.
Setting this value to a date in the past will not retroactively remove the discount from orders prior to that date.
Update unused discount codes in bulk
To edit unused discount codes in bulk, you will need help from the Recharge Support team. Review the steps below to prepare your CSV file before submitting it for a bulk update.
You must have at least 50 discount codes to update to process the update with Recharge Support. If you do not have 50 codes to update, the codes can be manually adjusted by following how to edit discount codes. In order for the Recharge Support team to process the update, you will need to prepare a CSV file with updated information and send it to the support team. Accommodate 5 business days to complete the update.
- In the merchant portal, go to Data and select Exports.
- Click Create export and select the Discount export from the drop-down.
- In the CSV, you can identify the discount by the discount_id column. To update any of the following aspects of existing discount codes, add NEW additional columns with headers to the CSV file.
- Applicable channels is a required column, to indicate where the discount code can be applied to an order. By default this is set to all channels when updating a discount code, and must specify if discounts can be added by the code through the Checkout page, Customer Portal, Merchant Portal, or through the API. Set ‘checkout’ if the discount code can only be applied through checkout orders.
- Value, or amount, of the discount. For example, 50 if the discount is for 50% off the order.
- Discount type confirms if the discount is a fixed amount, a percentage discount or a shipping discount. For example, enter in ‘percentage’ if the discount is 50% off the order.
- The status of the discount code. Set to enabled if you are turning on a disabled discount code.
- New starts_at or ends_at date, to determine how long the discount code can be used for.
- usage_limit to set the number of times this discount code can be used by all customers before it is invalid. For example, 100 if the discount code should only be used by the first 100 customers.
- If you would like to restrict the discount code by email so that a customer can not use a discount code more than once.
- If the discount code should apply to all products in the order or only the subscription products.
- If the discount code should apply to a specific product or collection. You will also need to provide the product or collection ID to confirm which product or collection the discount code should apply to.
- The duration of the discount code (for example, one time, forever or a specific number of charges).
- If the discount code should only apply to first-time customers.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us